Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
5t3ph3n

activity when idle?

what is all this hard disk activity when i leave my Win2k alone? self defragmentation? (I wished!... :))

thanks for the reply! background: mcafee VS for WinNT v4.03a, go!zilla v3.5, no screensaver, and i've istalled office 2k (not running). that's all! p.s. in startup i have : 1) MS Office 2) GoZilla and 3)Symantec Fax Starter Edition Port. it's like win2k make programs run faster when e.g. i'm typewriting or just don nothing! (all closed)

Call up the Task Manager (Ctrl-Shft-Esc), select the "Processes" tab, and click the CPU col header.

This will show you all active processes in order or their CPU usage so you can find out which one is actualy busy.

Chances are it's either your virus scanner or the tool responsible for indexing your files (in Office95 is was called FastFind).

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

CL TNT1 AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (no 120-day eval)

The background activity can be pointed at mcafee anti-virus program smile It's always checking remember that so it does some Hard Drive checking once in awhile.

arghhh! had to check that better! sorry... it was MCafee VS for NT which was scanning in random times. now trying to disable that...