Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
5t3ph3n

Future of Win2k?

i'm using win2k final for over a month and i must say that i'm impressed w/ its stability, ease of use and speed. So I don't quite understand M$ policy to say W2K is "a business OS" and not everybodys's OS, and furthermore why to produce Millenium (such a stupid name in my opinion that only confusion can bring Win2K vs WinMillenium --> let's laugh). And a future dual between Linux vs Win2K??? Just wondering what you guys are thinking about...

Just a note:

Windows 2000 (NT5) is just the next generation OS after Winodows NT 4, not Windows 98. The next generation for Windows 98 is Windows ME (Millennium Edition) and thats the "Now" official name for it. I have Windows 2000 Pro on dual boot with Windows ME beta 2. I have not seen one crash or Illegal Operation in Win2K at all, thats because its based strongly on the NT Kernel, Windows ME on the other hand crashes as much if not more than Windows 95, 98, and 98 SE. I'm not one to try to judge a beta Operating system like Win ME, but I'm going to. Why stick the novice user with an operating system that crashes all the time? Being a Certified computer technician, I get lots of calls at work from customers asking: "What does this error mean...Illegal Oper..." You know what? I don't even see why Microsoft is even going with Windows ME. Windows 2000 may be a little more difficult to use but I'll trade that for a stable OS any day. To anyone out there who is even debating the idea of going with Windows 2K or Windows ME, seriously man, go with 2000, its going to save you alot of hassle in the future, even if you have to pay three times the amount it costs for Windows ME.

Look at it this way, you get what you pay for...I have the same setup dual boot between win2k and millenium beta2 and god is beta2 horrible. Worse than 98, gonna format that drive and put 98 back in, err wait a sec. Screw that just win2k is good enough for me =)

ok, but then if you get what you pay for, what's the point of M$ claiming that WinMill will be the last on the series and a unified OS called "Whistler" will follows? I mean what about its price (will it be 1/2*[Win2K+WinMill] $$$ ? wink

When MS really wants to continue the 16bit OS (Millenium) then it would look like this:

It will use twice the ressources W2k does and it will be half as stable as W98.

I don't see a future in 16bit OSses.

screw Micro$oft, they just keep revamping the Windows 9x OS's just to make a profit, and you know people WILL buy WinME, don't ask me why, but they will, oh, and on WinME beta 2, IE 5.5 sucks ass.........thank you.

And yes Seldzar, you DO get what you pay for...and in turn you pay for it by having to put up with Illegal Operations and BSOD's.

Going the cheapest route is not always the best. Also, i wouldn't put too much faith into Windows Codename: Whistler.

oh.....

Windows 3.x = 16bit

Windows 95/98/98se = 32bit

A long time ago I heard the NT5 was supposed to be 64bit, correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it 32bit as well?

There will be a 64bit version on win2k for use on the new 64bit CPU's coming but Us home and busines users DON'T need it...chances are datacentre will have 64bit support.

Also how can you put down whistler?......god man the thing hasn't even been written nor have you even seen or used it. Don't prejudge. Yes I do get what I pay for....win2k = 3 times the price of win98 and NO BSOD(rare) and NO illigal operations(never)100% more stable than 98 and run's all the programs and games I want. It even runs my web server that gets quite a few hits and do you think I even notice it? Not at all. As well Ms isn't jsut revamping the 9x kernal to make cash...in case you didn't notice there's millions upon millions upon millions of people using winsows(9x). Now do the math with say 1% using 16 bit apps that a f**king lot of people and a lot of customers to keep happy and revenue to justify continuing the 9x kernal till they feel it's time to migrate people to the NT kernal. It's their OS not yours and they seemed to have learned that slow and steady beats rush it out as fast as possible anyday.

I didn't mean that Whistler sucks, I meant not to put any faith into it until its out.

Windows isn't their operating system, its OUR operating system, that gives us the right to judge it and submit our opinions about it. Most consumers use the 9x OS's because of the low price and ease of use.

Personally I already think that they are migrating people to the NT Kernel, I mean, look at NT4 vs. NT5, whats different? A HELL OF ALOT right? Right. That and its rock hard, I feel that after the release of Windows 2000, alot more people are going to be compelled to switch to Win2000, some because they are confused and think its the predecessor to Windows 98, other because they want the newly implemented ease of use in which Microsoft has incorporated into NT5.

Other will buy Windows ME when it comes out, but I believe it won't be long before all of us are using the NT Kernel based Operating system. So DataCenter Server will be 64bit based? I can only imagine how much it will cost. I'm glad i'll never have to come into contact with it on a personal basis. Oh Seldzar, The "Intel Itanium" processor is 64bit right?

I thought Linux was OUR operating system? It was made by US for US.

<poke, poke> That should stir things up a little.

As far as i know it's 64 bit, unless the drugs are kicking in and I don't have a clue =-)

maybe so Beavis, but i claim everything as mine, so Windows is MINE, Linux is MINE, THE WORLD IS MINE!!!!!!!!!!!! MUUHAHA!!!!

....No Mini-Me, we do not gnaw on our kit-ty.

Oh, Seldzar, is it possible to install Win98 on a FAT32 partitioned Windows 2000 machine? And if so how do i go about doing it? I have one 8GB FAT32 partition in which Win2K resides.

A future dual between Linux and Win2K. I hate to say it, but Win2k will win. Right now, linux is too hard for the common people who just type up docs for work, surf/chat the net, and play a game or two. I like both OS's with each having it's own advantages. Games rock on the win2k and suck on linux. Linux is more of a challenge to figure out and is Free. Yes, linux is made for us by us and it is stable as all hell. I have had crashes in win2k (gasp heard from all). Linux does offer me the chance to learn a near Unix enviroment which has helped at work.

But overall, Win2k will dominate, stupid people will buy WinME, a Bill Gates will harvest the money from you all. My answer: go to Singapore and get your pirated copies for $2-5 each. After you make 100 billion dollars, are you really losing money?

[This message has been edited by Tim Bazzinett (edited 03 February 2000).]

as a home user, I still find NT5 lack on hardware support.

so until all hardware manufacturer migrates to NT5, it is impossible for me to run this OS properly.

BTW, how come my HD is always fragmented when using NT5.

hey Jamsbong, its still beta to manufacturers, wait till after the 17th, more hardware support sould follow.

Lower the price to $30, then I'd consider buying it, I refuse to pay more than $30 for any software. Till then the build 2195 I have could'nt be better.