Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fargo

Do it Yourself: Upgrade Win2k defrag to Full version a la ex

You need: One copy of Windows 2000 installed, preferrably 2195 but anyone should do; One file called dk52pupdate_i.exe from diskeeper.com

1) Unzip the dk52... file

2) Doubleclick on DiskeeperWorkstation.Msi

3) watch the installation and when done you have diskeeper 5.03 instead of the crippled verision that comes with win2000

OK this wouldn't work for me either:

1. When I dbl-click on DiskeeperWorkstation.msi, it sez gotta click Update.msi.

2. When I dbl-click on Update.msi, it sez I don't have Diskeeper to update.

3. When I dbl-click on 16885c.msi, it lets me install but bombs out with a msg like "F1254-Readme.txt,Data.cab... " couldn't be found or something like that. The install just rolls back.

Sure would like to get this to work frown

I got the same results as you sandman... fargo- did you already have diskeeper 5 installed on your win2k? otherwise please post more info on how you got this to work..

I didn't have it installed and have done it on several other computers, i don't have a 16885c.msi, just the other 2, they have removed the file that i am using from their website btw

Fargo

How about posting that file somewhere or sending it to some kind soul who will test it out and post it for others <g>?

If you are interested, cq' me at 43462208.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

I don't know this boards policy on this kind of thing, but I posted a version that will install under W2k

---------------------

Not allow sign by SHS

---------------------

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 03 February 2000).]

Sorry, you need the version from sept 30th, this one "properly" detects windows 2000 defrag as a non-update product

Fargo - as I asked before, do you still have it and if so, will you share it? Otherwise, why post about an update that no longer exists and no one can get <g>?

------------------

Shrink

Let's test this out. I have only installed this update on W2K RC2 about a month ago and I just installed a more recent one tonight (although the filename was the same). Everyone please follow these instructions exactly.

1. Go here http://www.execsoft.co.uk/.

This update is the same as the US version.

2. Choose FREE UPGRADE OF DISKEEPER 5.03 FOR 5.0 USERS.

3. Choose the 2000 one and hit DOWNLOAD.

4. Fill in the waste of time form.

5. FILL IN ALL THE LINES.

6. Pick 5.03 Server or 5.03 Professional.

7. Uncompress whichever file you need and then right click on the 16885c.msi file and choose INSTALL.

8. If that doesn't work...does anybody know what program makes MSI files? hehehhee. I'm thinking Installshield...If the updates doesn't work I may just try to hack it.

Once again I have only installed this on the Technet version of Windows 2000 RC2.

------------------

C:\Dos

C:\Dos\Run

\Run\Dos\Run

Nope dosfreak, the "Internal Error 2351 f2154_Readme.txt, data.cab" message returns frown

Hmmm...What build of W2K are you using...Final?

------------------

\Run\Dos\Run

Yep - same error - final retail version of win2k pro. Bummer. It sure would be nice if Fargo shared the original file that he obtained that originally started this thread :-) Defrag-tease! LOL

------------------

Shrink

No..I am installing the exact same file you are and it's working perfectly. I am using RC2. Either:

1: Microsoft changed Diskeeper so it could not be updated.

2: Diskeeper changed their update program so that we can not update.

3. Something is interfering...can you guys try removing your virus scanners and everything else out of memory...I'm getting desperate here I know!.

I just downloaded that Installshield crap evaluation..the only problem is I have to wait for Installshield to send me a password just so I can use their Evaluation software! What a lot of crap! If I wasn't at work I would just search the net for a pass or get the full ver...but I'm at work. &&*%&^%$#!!!!!!!! So just hold tight!! I'm working on it!

------------------

\Run\Dos\Run

Geesh...Just thought of something...Extract the files out of data.cab and manualy replace them into your W2K folders. It might work. I can't test it cause I have W2K and it installs fine for me! Remember to back up your old files!

------------------

\Run\Dos\Run

Okay I installed Installshield Professional 2000 and I snooped through the .MSI files but I didn't really find anything useful. The only thing that might be of interest is that the install of the upgrade has 2 conditions.

1. You must be an Administrator.

2. You must be running 2000.

AHA. I JUST FIGURED IT OUT! Ok...earlier when I was messing around with Diskeeper I was installing it a different way but it locked up. So I just did a Ctrl+Alt+del and killed it...but this incomplete install must have messed up the version of Diskeeper on my Windows. Because When I just ran Update.MSI it said it was Uninstalling my previous version of Diskeeper and then it started to install and I am now getting the same errors you guys are getting!

Hey for you guys who keep on getting the .CAB error just do a right click on Update.Msi and try to Install it should then Uninstall your previous version of Diskeeper and then it should try to install the latest...but you'll probably get a .CAB error. NOW run the DiskeeperWorkstation.MSI.

------------------

\Run\Dos\Run

Ignore my previous post about extracting the Data.cab and puting the files in the NT directory manually...you should not have to do that! Someone with W2K Final plz try out the new method on the previous post!

------------------

\Run\Dos\Run

Hmm I can't under stand why you all are having so must problem I install it but I got raid of it. I think buildin Disk Defragmenter is better.

SHS, You can't be serious. The defragmenter that comes with NT5 is a limited version of Executive's Software's Diskeeper. This update updates NT's minimal version to the full blown version. That's like saying that the defragmenter that comes with 95 is better than Norton Speedisk. (95 defragmenter is a minimal version of speedisk....heck it's so slow it seems like symantec slowed it down on purpose smile )

I'll send it to shrink as soon as he is online, tested the newer update on my computer (with the earlier patch already on) and it happily uninstalled it and applied the new one so it doesn't see tha I have cheated before