Photo

How Do I Install Lindows 4 on SATA Drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 malachi

malachi

stranger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 10:51 AM

I have Lindows 4 and can't seem to install it on my SATA Hard Disk. I have a Abit NFS7 v2.0 motherboard and can't find a driver for SATA so that my HD finds Lindows 4.

#2 danleff

danleff

Carpal Tunnel

• Moderators
  • 2903 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 12:21 PM

I took a look at the Lindows forum. It seems that sata is not supported yet. Did you try a google search?

#3 malachi

malachi

stranger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 10:45 AM

thanks danleff did that and some suggested to upgrade to the 2.4 kernel.
how does one (a newbie) install a kernel? is it easy as double clicking the kernel exe file or somethink?

#4 danleff

danleff

Carpal Tunnel

• Moderators
  • 2903 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 12:31 PM

Lindows 4.0 has the 2.4.20 kernel. I bet you need a newer version. Lindows is not friendly when it comes to recompiling the kernel. Frankly, it is not an easy process for a newbie. It is not as easy as clicking in an "exe" file. I have tried various kernel re-compiles with varing results. Please let me ask (for support purposes), do you have a membership for Lindows, so you can access the support forums? They are very helpful on the member forums.

For a newbie, and if your Lindows was not purchased, you may want to try another distro with a newer kernel version percompiled.

#5 Pfour

Pfour

stranger

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 11:55 PM

Hey All,
Mandrake 9.2 is the only Distro I have tried that detects & installed without trouble on my SATA drive. The latest Fedora, Slackware & Suse
distro's would not install.

MSI 865PE
P4c 2.6ghz
1 gig DDR400 OEM
Maxtor 80gig SATA
Asus Ti4400 video
SBlive 5.1
NEC 1300A DVD/RW
onboard Intel 10/100 nic
WinXP Pro SP1
Mandrake 9.2

0 user(s) are reading this topic