Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mistral

McAfee Virusscan 4.03 **WORKING**

This is just a tip for those who may or may not have had problems installing McAfee Virusscan 4.03 for NT on Windows 2000.

Users may have experienced a hang at bootup, or an unbelievably long bootup time (>6 mins. on a PIII 450Mhz, 128MB RAM)

The problem lies in the Alert Manager (one of McAfees new fangleedoodas) trying to load as a service at startup. If you have installed McAfee with this option selected, DISABLE IT NOW and all your problems will be solved. I'm now back to more reasonable bootup times (< 2mins).

Man, am I glad to have sorted that one, I was dying with worry for not having a Viruschecker on my machine while on the 'net.

By the way the evaluation version is available on any of Tucows' websites, or you can get it from McAfee direct (but you have to fill out a registration form).

Hope this helps somebody.

And where would one get these beta drivers then?

I've checked the NAI site, but no joy.

I have a question about that beta version. What kind of time limit does it have or ...how does that work? I have reg'd versions of the NT and 9x but haven't installed one yet. I was going to install the NT version 'cause I've heard it works fine. But then I read this about the slick new beta version with built win2000 bells and whistles and ...well, you know how it is, never satisfied with what ya got... Anyhow, I'd hate to install it and then have it pestering me for cash later down the road while I've got an old reg'd version sittin' around collecting dust. Whats the smart call here?

Probably to install the beta version now, and uninstall it later if it gets stroppy. smile Seriously, if you have a version you're happy with, stick with it.

That said, I've never managed to get it to co-operate with DirectCD, so people with CD writers may have to be careful.

------------------

Sunlight Dragon

I don't know how to get 4.03 to start up when other users log in rather than Administrator(myself). When i installed 4.03 to either a custom(admin) or system account, Vshield starts normally during admin login. but when i log in as other regular user, it won't load and complains about "Can't write to server folder" or something like that. Any help is appreciated.!