Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LTJ-Man

Install Win98SE w/ Win2000 already installed

I currently have Win2000 2195 installed and would like to install Win98SE on to provide for a dual boot between the two systems. Any help on how to accomplish this would be great. Thanks

First of all I would like to tell you to back up all your important data just in case something goes wrong. Also, I am basing this on my experience with NT4, I haven't actually tried this out with Win2k although it should work the same.

I am assuming you have the Bootable CD version of Win2k build 2195.

You can simply install Win98 SE as normal from the CD. This will overwrite the boot sector therefore when you boot up again you will go straight into Win98. To fix this just enable boot from CD in your BIOS and place the Win2K cd in your drive. Then the Win2K installation will start and after a while you will get to a screen that asks you if you want to install Win2K or repair an exhisting installation. Choose to repair and then enable the option that checks/repairs the bootfiles or bootsector, I don't know exactly what it is called as I have not tried this on Win2K.

If you feel a bit daring then give this a go, it should then enable a choice of booting to either Win98 SE or Win2k when you re-boot again.

Good Luck...

This does work with W2K. I tried it from a fresh format/W2K install/98SE install from boot disk. Acted as you mentioned, (booted into 98 immeadiately), ran W2K repair, and presto! Dual boot operational again!

------------------

Prozac®

Well, you're right guys.. but dont forget that you must have a fat 32 partition available..

Dont try to put a dual boot win98 and win2k, nt on a NTFAT partition.. redface.gif)

So tell me if im wrong, but there's no way to get win98 and nt in dual boot unless you have a primary fat32 partition.. Or maybe use the active mode partition..

But the big problem with active partition, is that you can just access stuff from the active partition..

Ok.

I am going to try this, but I dont have a bootable cdrom drive or bootable scsi card =(

How can I do this?

If you read the readme-files delivered on the CD you will find hints on bual-booting 98 and 2k. In one of them you will find that you can install 98 after 2k without any probs. I tried it myself half an hour ago and it works.

(I set up a 30 meg partition DOS (active, 1st partition C) as boot partition)

Just install 98 after 2k, it will show both entries at bootup time. I was really astonished to see that work so fine.

I did not need any MBR repairing or anything else after the installation!

Llion

Yep i agree with Llion it is simple to do i have windows 2000 2195 and windows 98 SE on one hard drive i just get a menu at starup which asks me which OS i want to boot up and thats it i have had no probs since i set it up about 3 weeks ago go for it mate.

if anyone else wants some help with this get icq at www.icq.com and contact me on 53873233

cheers.

------------------

MAC