Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vf

sharing with older Windows'

I have a Win98/2000 network here, but the Win98 do not see any shares on the 2000 workstations. Is there a trick to make them give access to those?

Allowed Users in the 2000 share is "everyone" with "Full Control, Change, Read" enabled, should be enough, or?

I testwise also enabled the Guest account, didn't help.

Anyone having success with this?

[This message has been edited by vf (edited 13 January 2000).]

A few more details would be helpfull. Can the 98 machine a) see the 2k machine in the network neighbourhood? If so, can you access the machine, or does it pop up with a window asking for the password for ip$? And if you can get into the computer and see any of the shared folders, do they ask for passwords? Can you ping the win2k machine? Can the win2k machine ping the 98? Can the win2k see the 98's shares? Atre they on the same subnet?

Have a good day.

OK, the 98 machines do see the 2000 boxes in the neighbourhood. They can also access them, but there are simply no shares shown, no password is asked for.

Also, they can ping each other and all are in the same subnet. -> It worked before when all machine were running 98.

Could it maybe be that the Win2000 boxes are trying to get domainmaster browsers or so or Wins Servers, cause I have a linuxserver, doing that already.