Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
digitizedsoul

Windows2000 Domain Controller (RC3)

I recently posted a topic about Internet Connection shareing which i have since fixed and am no longer haveing problems with it. Thats not a problem anymore. What is a problem is that i am trying to make my Win2k RC3 Server a Primary Domain controller and i'm finding the process to be FAR different than NT4 and FAR less desireable. The reason being that you now have to have this active directory or whatever it is. I converted to NTFS just to use this and now it won't work. It supposedly REQUIRES a DNS server which i do not have/want. I am connected to the internet via a Dialup connect and do NOT have a registered domain name on the internet to use as a PDC Name. In NT4 you didn't even HAVE to have internet connectivity to be a PDC but yet now you do. What can i do?

Man, that sounds like it sucks, i'm configuring my server tomorrow, i'll post what i find...

I've set up w2k servers (advanced) as PDC (and DNS since I use it). It doesn't matter if you install a DNS server on your internet connected machine.... There are many ways to make the DNS server not talk to the internet... and even if you don't unbind your dialup interface, it doesn't matter because no other DNS' are talking to yours, so your records won't be thrown out on the net... and I've installed both PDC and AD without any trouble... the onlything that gave me trouble was the telnet service and the remote login service... neither of those was functioning correctly... but this was way back beta 3, I think....

Well i've been fooling with the Active directory wizard trying to get it to work properly. But almost everytime i run it and it gets to a certain part "Preparing the local server for active directory" It freezes my whole machine SOLID.

What am i doing wrong?

Hey cyb, you're running dns on a dialup?

yep... or at least I used to... I've moved the intern DNS to another machine, so the dialup only got a caching DNS (not really a dns then I would say) for the routing service....