Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Zamarocy

Is is that damn ACPI problem with SB Live! ????

Ok, I loaded the new Thrustmaster ver 2.29 Afterburner Drivers (TMapper) and now seem to have 2 new problems???? the TSR loads and stays loaded. And Mechwarrior 4 actually uses it too! Even has a popup message saying the profile is being applied! COOL! But, . . .

1) when I try to test it under Gaming Controllers in Win2K, it pops up with an error message saying some COMPONENTS are missing?????? So I can not use that CPL - but it still works in the games so might not be TOO big a deal???

2) after I loaded these, Mechwarrior 4 in multiplayer now keeps giving me a BSOD after a half hour playing! Something about an IRQ, and then begins a memory dump. Now, . . . COULD this be the Afterburner and the TMapper software or a USB IRQ??? Or could this now be a DX8.0a problem and involving the damn SB Live! card? As the BSOD mentions an IRQ involved - it makes me suspect the damn ACPI and how Win2K sets ALL devices to the SAME IRQ! And as MW4 hesitates at times, and the Start Windows sound hesistates on bootup every so often, it does make me wonder???? For perhaps it is having a conflict with something else using the same IRQ.

One solution, apart from moving from Sound Blaster Live to Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, involves granting an Irq to each device.

First uninstall SB Live drivers, then remove the SBL card from computer case.

Then try to get rid of ACPI by up[censored] driver from "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" to "Srandard PC".

Go to control Panel and shut down Power Management from Power options panel. then DPMS is deactivated. Disable it in the Bios. Choose Plug and Play: No. and then reset the configuration data.

Attribute a different Irq for each PCI port. If needed, use legacy devices Irq choice.

Reinstall SB live card in third or fourth slot, depending on your motherboard Irq sharing (AGP and first PCI often share and second PCI is best for network cards). Reinstall Liveware drivers.

Go to Device manager, View devices by type to ensure that each device uses its own Irq.

Generally speaking, ACPI is doing it's thing when it puts all the devices on one IRQ. I suppose your mileage may vary, but I've personally been having great experiences with it since I installed it. I would personally exhaust all other possibilities before I reinstalled my computer without ACPI. I would probably cast the blame at something to do with that Thrustmaster first, but I have no direct experience with them, so I can't help you on that front.

Most games do not play well when indexing services and programs are active.

Microsoft Office puts one initializing program in the Startup directory situated within Programs directories both for yourself and all users. Remove it.

Right click on you hard disk and see if there are marks near "Allow indexing service ... for fast file searching".

Ok, I had the Indexing turned on, I just shut it off now. But didn't have that Fast Find or anything loaded. It will be a few hours before I can try it out, but I will - thanks!

But I seriously do really want to find a way to at least just put the SB Live! on IRQ5. Cause when Win2K starts up, the thnderclap sound that is played occasionaly stutters. This leads me to think that though ACPI is doing its thing, too many on one IRG is too much.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Zamarocy:
But I seriously do really want to find a way to at least just put the SB Live! on IRQ5. Cause when Win2K starts up, the thnderclap sound that is played occasionaly stutters. This leads me to think that though ACPI is doing its thing, too many on one IRG is too much.</font>

Under Windows 2000, as long as ACPI's enabled, you can't mess with IRQs. Your only option besides waiting for CL to fix the drivers (if this ever happens) is to disable ACPI (as Wolf87 described) or to go with a more ACPI-friendly sound card.

A CL card not ACPI compliant??? Geez! There was a time that the Soundblaster was THE one and only soundcard that set the standards. Everyone else rushed to make theirs SB compatible or could emulate the SB.

So what is THE soundcard to have now a days?

OK, well I think it's time to sit back ane enter 'Smug Mode' then.

I have a Win2k ACPI system.

I have an SB Live! Value.

All of my devices are listed under one single IRQ.

However the SB Live! card has never ever caused me a single problem.

None of this 'slow booting' that was reported ages ago.

None of this 'Thunderclap stuttering'.

No BSOD listing EAX as the fault.

No game crashing through Creative drivers.

No general bad sound performance in any game/application I have ever run under Win2k.

I for one shall stick to my Live! and continue to recommend it, cause as far as I'm concerned all of this reported problems are just figments of your imagination! smile

SB Live! not ACPI complient - sheesh, what next the GeForce MX isn't a graphics chipset?

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 02 February 2001).]

There ARE problems with the SB Live! - you are one of the lucky ones. Just take a look at an SB Live! newsgroup! It is larger than any other I have seen.

Anyway, here is a response to a similar post as mine from a CL tech person:

Actually it has been reproduced and it is indeed in the drivers. It looks

like it is related to CPU utilization. And it will be an issue that must be

addressed in the next set of drivers.

I do subscribe to the CT SB Live!'s newsgroup and many of the problems that are reported there are due to via chipsets not the card. If there are any that are due to sharing of IRQ's then it is down to the mobo.

Chris