Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
maartena

For the tech-hotshots: Getting Transport Tycoon for Windows

Okay... here is the deal smile

I have a Win95 version of Transport Tycoon DeLuxe, which works fine in Windows 95 and Windows 98.

Since this is the ONLY program i haven't gotten to work in Windows 2000 so far, i thought i'd try getting it to work.

When youy just run the exe,, it tels me "Cannot read Registry" You can then press OK, and nothing happens.

I tried to use the APCOMPAT.EXE from the Windows 2000 CD to "fake" Windows 95, 98 or NT, and see if it works then. I now get a different error:

"This version of MSVCRT.DLL is not compatible with Win32s"

Meaning it needs a Microsoft Visual C Runtime Library, and apperantly the one in Windows 2000 is not good enuf, or maybe too new smile

Now i COULD go into commandprompt mode, and replace the DLL with for instance, a Windows 95 or 98 one, but i am pretty sure I will cause problems with Windows 2000, since the DLL was not made for that OS.

Questions i am wondering about now are:

- Could I run a program using a different (set of) DLL('s) then the ones in WINNT\SYSTEM32? How would I accomplish that? (I was thinking of pointing to a fake \WINDOWS\SYSTEM dir with the RIGHT DLL's? some way??)

- Would replacing the DLL cause problems? Is there a way to "unlock" the DLL so it is no longer in use by the system, replace it, run program, and then replace it again by the Windows 2000 one?

As you can see i have advanced a little, and i WANT to have this program work in Windows 2000, since this is the ONLY game i'm keeping Windows 98 for... its the ONLY PROGRAM PERIOD i'm keeping a 150 Mb install of Windows 98 for... 165 Mb for a 15 Mb game laugh

This is a serious attempt in getting this game to work, and I could use some assistance.

Can anybody set a little more light on the issue?

Thanx!!