Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Josua2311

probs with SB Live and SuSE 8.2

I've read through some posts here already but couldn't find an answer to my problem...

I have the SB Live 5.1 soundcard using EMU10k1 but still I can get no surround sound. From the center speaker you only hear noise, so I had to unplug it, and the rear speakers are somehow connected (if you stick your ear into them you can almost here the music... but VERY muted... only the front speakers (left and right) and the bass work fine...

I already played around with the settings under 'mixer' but still I can't get those three speakers to work.

The other thing is, the ALSAmixer doesn't find the sound card at all, and I don't know what to do about that..

everywhere I read they said just get the emu10k1 and it should work, but I have that and it doesn't.. so what's there to do about it?

thx for your help.... Jan!

PS: why the heck is the SB Live 5.1 listed as fully compatible to Linux on this site?? with no comment that you have to get emu10k... who tested it?

Unfortunately, the SB Live series comes in a variety of models, some work and some do not. Some are Gateway based models, which are known not to work in Linux. The best thing to do is try to determine which model that you have, by looking for a sticker or stamp on the sound card that identifies the actual model number, then do a search on Goodle to see if it is supported.

I have one that is probably not supported and win XP freezes when it is installed!

well, I already did that and it's not supported by Linux, but under XP it worked perfectly, except for the front center speaker, which never worked...

As you can see by my post below, I had the same problem. Geez, at least you got a couple of replies. Anyway, I did a lot of research and am happy to report I have the graphics card, soundcard and wireless networking all configured and working perfectly with SuSE 8.2 since my last post. I tried the driver that you are using and it would not even drive the front speakers and Subwoofer (not a peep of sound anywhere) so I got a driver (free Trial Version) from Open Sound.

www.opensound.com

I installed it easily and eventually bought the permanent driver and associated license for $15.00.

The guys at Open Sound were very helpful. Here is the info they sent to me regarding my surround sound. They will have a driver for us sometime in 2004:

The Windows Drivers use something called Creative CMSS that takes 2 channel standard stereo from MP3 players like Winamp or Windows Media player and converts it to a 6 channel surround sound. This feature is not supported by OSS. So when you play MP3s, you only get audio from the front speakers. If you have rear and center/lfe speakers you will not hear audio from these speakers when playing MP3s.

If you have a Dolby Decoder hooked up the the Digital Output on the card and your 6 speakers are conneced to the dolby decoder and now when you use Xine to play a dvd, you'll need to do the following:

rm /dev/dsp

ln -s /dev/dsp3 /dev/dsp

Now fire up Xine and press the Configuration icon (next to the power button icon on the left) and then under the Audio panel you will see AC3 passthrough. Enable it and then close down Xine and restart the Application. Now you should be able to play DVDs and hear full 5.1 surround audio from all the speakers.

We are working on CMSS like features for OSS v4.0 and they will come out during next year and you will get a free upgrade. So in future when you play Mp3s you will get full surround audio. But right now you are limited to just the front speakers.

If you want to play audio files on the rear and center/lfe you can try this:

Find some wav file on your system save it to /tmp/sample.wav) and type:

/usr/lib/oss/play -d/dev/dsp1 /tmp/sample.wav

You will hear audio on the rear speakers

If you disable spdif (edit /usr/lib/oss/options.cfg and add a line:

emu10k1x_spdif_enable=0 and run soundoff and soundon) then you will be able to use /usr/lib/oss/play -d/dev/dsp2 /tmp/sample.wav and hear audio on the center/lfe speakers.

Hope this helps.

Jay in PA

wow, that was perfect.. those drivers from OpenSound are just the perfect thing smile I downloaded them and it worked.. just like that :-) didn't have to tell him anything or even compile... that's how I like it to work :-)

thx, Jay

btw.. why do you stay in the PA?

Josua,

Glad it worked!

You don't have an email address posted so I apologize to the board for this post.

You asked,"Why do you stay in the PA?" No, I'm not a bum sleeping in the corner of the Port Authority lugging around a computer trying to figure out how to get everything to work with this new Linux operating system.

PA.....That's not the Port Authority.... I live in PA (Pennsylvania) about 1 hour drive from New York City and 1 hour from Philadelphia.

I am having a Hofbrau Octoberfest Beer as I am typing this post to salute your success in Germany!!

Jay in PA

well, no, actually I thought you'd live in the Westbank, cause you're located at Betlehem PA (Palestinian Authority)..

but anyway, so how did you get your graphic card to work... I have a NVidea type of card which is supposed to let you have a lot of trouble... and even though I installed the right drivers from the site mentioned at suse.com I still can't use 3D-applications... is that the same thing you had? or do you know anything I can do?

cheers! German beer is the best! (although I don't drink) but I have to be proud of my country right here wink

thx, bye, Jan!

I have NVidia GeForce 4 MX 420 Graphics Card. I have 3D Acceleration enabled. I downloaded the driver through Yast (online update). There was a disclaimer I had to agree to prior to installation of the updated driver. However, due to licensing issues between NVidia and Linux, there is no true support. Even though my card is configured to have 3D enabled, there are certain programs and games that display a pop up indicating 3D is not configured for my card. However, when I go ahead and open the program it sure looks 3D to me. My resolution and graphics are beautiful on my 18" Flat Panel monitor. Good enough for me anyway.

Jay in PA