Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
logic88

Need help picking parts for Linux compatible desktop

I'm currently working on building a new computer, and plan to run Linux exclusively on it, but am having trouble finding a few parts that will run well. My current setup is: Abit IC-7 Max3, Intel 2.4c, 2x512mb OCZ PC4200, 2x250gb Maxtor SATA150 hdds, ATI Radeon 9800XT, and a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro. Basically, I'm looking for a nice CDRW, DVDRW and possibly a different sound card (since I doubt the 2ZS would be able to use all it's features under Linux). Thanks.

Just to add some information, I will most likely be running Slackware (as I am most familiar with it), but might give Gentoo a try.

Yes, Gentoo is intriguing! I too might give it a try on my experimental box. As far as your new box goes, I've never had a problem with any HP cd recorder I've ever used with Linux. They've always performed well for me.

i'm recently switched from SuSE 8.2 pro to gentoo and i like it, portage is sweet

i also like how fast it is, i don't know about its speed vs slackware

My first install i just used the gaming sources but after a couple of days i went back and compiled my own kernel

one downpoint i found is that it uses nano for the default text editor but that is easy to change

also don't expect to have a quick install especially if you have dialup (it took me a little over two week of download time from a stage 2 install)

but you can get it installed in one day if you do a stage 3 GRP install