Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hollywood63

How many distro's have you tried????

I'm relatively new to linux and all of the distros which most of you probably know. This is just a general question/ poll. I'm wondering what distro's have the pro's and not so pro's tried and which one do you use the most. Here's my list

Started with Mandrake 9 and 9.1 for a newbie its to adjustable

Red Hat 9 Loved it is easy to install and for the most part set up

Vector text installs get me in trouble

Peanut 9.5 Looks like its nice but I got as far as the driver install and it locked up??

Damn Small and Aidios Text install again frown

Libranet Here I'm getting the hang of the text install but I could get use to it

Lycrois Well even for me its a no brainer smile

Ark Linux Waiting for tje final release the test release has a bug that won't let me fully install but it looks cool

Red Hat 10 / Fedora Project 2nd release good Red Hat but will wait for the final

The last one is called

Linux Install 1.4 its based off of Red Hat 8 and has every thing any newbie could want easy to install and set up its the one i always seem to end up with hope the guy updates to the lastest if he has the time.

I managed to dual boot all of these with XP with out having to reload it.

Again I was just wondering

Hollywood

LOL! sounds like you've already tried them all! I tried Slack for a while and like it alot, it's just I don't have the patience to build packages with tarballs. Damn small is damned amazing! Mandrake 9- a great Linux release! Mdk 9.1, a nightmare, Mdk 9.2, a nightmare in beta! RedHat 8 and 9- outstanding in every way except it's extremely difficult to run IceWM and one of the Ice configurators with it. At this moment I'm out on the deck typing from my wife's Toshiba Satellite laptop which works perfectly with Morphix Gnome installed. The Orinoco PCMCIA classic gold card works perfectly right out of the box, as does the Linksys Wireless-G router it's communicating with . I REALLY like Morphix, but it's a little scary to think about running it at work. There, it's Mandrake 9.0, and at home it's RedHat 9.0, and Morphix on the laptop! smile

Hmmm...lemme see:

Slackware 3.something, slackware 3.something++, slackware 4. I still cannot believe how easy

it was to administer those systems, seems like all these years of development have only made

using Linux harder :-)

Then redhat 6.1, 6.2. Pretty decent distributions at the time, but really outdated by now.

Mandrake 7.2, 8.1, 8.2, 9.0 (currently on my desktop), and now 9.1 on my laptop. In my

experience mdk has the easiest install procedure of all distros. Then again, also mandrake

has it's quirks, I've had trouble several times setting up my home network.

LFS. Pretty cool project. If you ever want to learn linux, you have to try it yourself at least

once. No fancy portage tool, just downloading a source package and start compiling.

Slackware 9.0. Continues the slackware tradition of a trustworthy, no-nonsense distribution

that just works. Installed it on my 486 with 512MB hard disk, which is pretty impressive for

such a modern distro. Havent tried to run kde 3 on it though ;-)

Gentoo 1.4rc4 (? dunno about the version number) Pretty nice, works ok, but installing a

packages takes a hell of a lot of time (as you can imagine). A bit overhyped, I think, the speed

gained by optimization for your particular platform is not that big.

Is that all? <me starts thinking> No! Small Linux. Nice little distro, that fits on a couple of

floppies. Ok, that's really all I've tried so far.

hi

tried red hat 8, gave me no end of trouble.

have mandrake 9.1 installed at work, its not bad but i've run into a few problems, mainly cdwriting and network setup.

currently playing with debian at home, so far its not bad.

looks like suse isnt to bad either, havent tried it though.

Suse 9.0 runs flawlessly on my new laptop.

Gentoo running my db/web/mailserver

Debian on my desktop at home used for development.

Coyote used to run my firewall/router until I splurged for a wireless router.

Other than that I've used, most versions of RedHat since 6.2, Mandrake since 7.0, Slackware, Lycoris(blech), Lindows(blech, blech), Xandros which is just as nasty as Corel(hated it even though it was .deb based), Libranet(which is also .deb based), Caldera(hate to admit that, had to ritualistically burn those cd's and the free hat I got from them at some expo), Yoper, Linux from scratch, Knoppix, demolinux, etc etc.

IMO I liked gentoo for the fact that every package is built from source with the build flags I specified, so everything is optimized for my system. The downfall, it takes forever to compile every package from source.

Debian is nice, apt is an awesome tool(no dependency probs), it's downfall being lack of bleeding edge and sometimes not-so bleeding edge packages.

Suse has come a long way in the last couple of years. Wasn't impressed with the package selection in 8.2. 9.0 seems to work very well, they finally upgraded to MySQL to 4.0, and detects all the new hardware that no other mainstream distro could.

I started with Redhat 5 moved to mandrake 7.0-9.1 then switched to debian unstable just for apt... and the debian community is great too. smile

well, I started off with redhat 7 and worked my way up to RH 8 and 9, they never gave me much trouble, except that sound simply wouldn't work, except in RH9. Now I'm working with suse 9 and it runs perfectly on my laptop. In my free time I'm also playing with debian, but I don't quite have the hang of it yet.

I'm a noob, so:

I tried Red Hat 8 a while back. Had no idea what I was doing and my install didn't last long.

Tried SuSu Pro 8.2 after leaving linux because I was afraid of it. It installed fine but my internet didn't work, and I need my internet to get info on how to fix other issues. So you can guess how that turned out.

Am running Mandrake 9.1 now (with 9.2 on the way) and love it. It gave me all the hardware compatability off the bat so I can learn at my own pace insted of being forced into it.

lets see....

i started with mandrake used that for a few versions

then i used SuSE 8.2 pro for almost 2 years (before i took suse off i had 421 days of uptime)

then i tried redhat for about 2 days, didn't like it to much

and now i'm currently run Gentoo 1.4, because gentoo is faster

also somewhere in there i ran Slack and knoppix (knoppix only lasted about two days, i didn't like it-- it was too simplistic and it looked too much like windows to start out with. which it was designed to do but i didn't like it

well i have to get to class.