Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kailinin

running linux and windows on the same system

i work at a technikon, for the lab team, basically keeping the computer labs up and running, my problem is that we've been told to set up a linux windows dual boot system, this would be okay except for the fact that windows cant read the linux partition and if you happen to click on that partition, would tell you that it isnt formatted and would you like to format it now. is there any way to somehow prevent this from happening in windows as all the students i know would most likely format that partition.

if anyone has any ideas about this please let me know.

I'm not really sure how anyone is going to see the Linux partitions if they are in Windows. Once you split up your hard drive and have a dual boot system, to my knowledge, Windows doesn't know there is another operating system co-existing with it unless you run fdisk or whatever partitioning tool comes with the Windows installation. Not to say there isn't, but I am not aware of any program that comes with Windows that will allow write access to Linux partitions while in Windows GUI.

You're in serious trouble though if those students click on the C drive and click "format." They wouldn't do that would they??

i thought so to but when we actually set up the first machine, and booted into windows it came up with a c (windows partition) d (cstudent drive - fro them to save on) e (linux partition - hich when you clicked on it windows said it was not partitioned)

and yes these students probably would just because they think its funny to mess the lab up.

I'm in strange territory again! Sorry kailinin, I keep trying to help but keep coming up empty for you! I've only been on "the red pill" since June 2002, so my experience is very limited. I know a Windows guy I'll ask and see what he says. In the meantime, hopefully a senior member here will step in and help you solve this problem. Sorry I couldn't do more, (again).

Which MS Windows OS? Different MS Windows have different levels of security. It also depends on what file system Linux making. I use ext2 and XP does not see it unless I use my administrative tools under administrative rights.

I think the simple answer would be to only allow administrators to edit that drive. In fact, do not allow any user priviledges to that drive since there is no use fro it in Windows. For instance, in Windows 2K there is a security tab for each drive; mapped or local.

That should do it for you. wink

it sounds to me like your linux partition is running under a dos or ntfs partition type. Did your linux installation format the drive as linux native when you installed. Some linux installations will attempt to "coexist" with windows on a fat or ntfs drive. If this is the case, reformat as linux native and install linux.

yes linux did format the drive as native.

did the opposite of what you suggested - windows crashed so i reinstalled it - it doesnt see the linux partition anymore, still not sure why it did in the first place.