Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MidKnight

Colin McRae Rally

Has anyone got this game to work under Win2000 Pro?

It will install fine and will crash when lauching the game.

Thanks

If you install the 1.5 patch from the codemasters website it stops the crashing smile But don't get too excited. Although I've read posts on the Microsoft news server where people say this actually fixes the game and allows it to run, all I get is the intro video and then the game stops with a dialog-box stating "Wrong OS", and all I can do it click OK to exit frown I'm wondering if this is the same problem thats stops me from install Quake 2, as it reports that I'm in the wrong region. Something to do with me having a US version of Win2k, but actually living in the UK. confused

Seriously. You can't be stuck at such a little thing as that!

Apart from the fact that Q2 will run straight from the CD, you can copy the folder over to you harddrive, then rename data to baseq2.

But the easy, easy, easy! way to fix it, is to goto the control panel, then REGIONAL SETTINGS, and change to whatever region is appropriate to the CD.

EG a US CD will want English US

and a UK CD will want to see English UK.

Its as easy as that,

Ps. you can even have US region with a UK keyboard!

I know how to get around the problem with Quake 2. That's the easy bit smile But as for your comments about changing the locale information. From what I've seen that only applies to the user logon. You just don't seem to be able to change the SYSTEM locale, which is what so many programs and games seem to look for. I already have the the user locales as UK English. I mean come on...I do want my # and @ keys in the right place, now don't I smile

Back to Colin McRae, does apcompat.exe not work for you in this situation. That is if the locale is not the problem, maybe it doesn't like Win2k?

After having a look around the Regional Options applet I actually found out how to change the system locale. In fact it's so damned obvious when you find it. All you need to do is click the "Set Default" button on the General tab, choose your language and away you go. You'll be prompted for the Windows 2000 CD, and you'll need to restart. But after that the System locale will be set to what ever you chose. But alas, this does not fix Colin McRae Rally frown It still reports Wrong Operating System, and apcompat.exe does not seem to have any effect what so ever, which is a shame. Obviously it is using some un-assumed (from apcompat.exe's view point) of detecting which OS it is running on. Next step is to find out how it is doing this. So, any of you lot out there handy with a Hex-editor wink

------------------

Matt Beale

matthew@thebeales.worldonline.co.uk

Smegsite

Quote:
posted by kristler
All CMR fans!
You will be pleased to know that I've written a patch for CMR to make it runnable with Windows 2000!

Look here for the full story: http://w1.112.telia.com/~u11203606/cmronw2k.htm

Although I extremely admire you for writing C code to run on win2k, this game (with the patch) straight F*$*#(*'ed my computer. It changed the appearance colors and everything after giving Internet Explorer a "Internal Error" but the game worked GREAT! Just a note, i have ALL upgrades possible and im running w2k 800mhz K7. Also It crashed every 'window' that was open. However the game ran flawlessly. (the game WAS the reason for the error though)

if u can fix it, bravo!

PS: I have a Subaru Impreza 2.5RS :P just like the one in the game biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by STi Sev (edited 11 September 2000).]

Hmm....

I'm very sorry to hear that your Internet Explorer fucked up...

What I don't understand is:

1. Is the machine still broken or what?

2. You are running W2K SP1 with IE55 right? Seen more IE crashes with SP1&IE55 than the "original". Dunno why really...

The patch program isn't written in C. How did you guessed that anyway? It's actually written in Delphi 5.

BTW, you are a lucky bastard ;-) Actually saw an Impreza on the way to work today! I just love that engine-sound!

/Krister

1. Is the machine still broken or what?

1.) No my machine works great!!!!!

2. You are running W2K SP1 with IE55 right? Seen more IE crashes with SP1&IE55 than the "original". Dunno why really...

2.) I HATE 5.5!!! I love 5.0.1 but I can't uninstall 5.5 (it wont let me frown.gif

3.) The patch program isn't written in C. How did you guessed that anyway? It's actually written in Delphi 5.

3.) Well your resume somewhere said massive experience in C so I guessed smile.gif

4.) BTW, you are a lucky bastard ;-) Actually saw an Impreza on the way to work today! I just love that engine-sound!

4.) I LOVE my impreza. I have that full engine sound by running intake and exhaust. 2.5L's of pure monsterous sound. I'm probably going to take digital pictures today.

oohh.. damn you Sev. Unfortunatly, I only get to have a wander down to the Prodrive HQ in my home town and ogle the cars from behind a security fence tongue.gif

I cant change the resolution i colin mcrae, or more precisely i can change to 800*600 but the game still plays in 640*480 when checking the monitors osd!