Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Josua2311

change to root

hey there!

I have one basic question. I use Suse 8.2 Prof.. with KDE..

So if I want to change a file in e.g. etc/x11 or somewhere where I need administration rights (root), how do I get those without logging out and again log in as a root? also opening a console and typing in the su command doesn't help me... how do I get the rights for just this moment? with the Yast it works because automatically it opens a small window asking for the root-password, but I'd like this also for the other things I do..

Well, thx for your help anyway :-)

Bye, Jan!

su is generally the accepted way of doing this, why doesn't it work on your system? I know on Gentoo you have to be a member of a special group (wheel) before it'll let you use the su command, perhaps SuSE has something similar?

well, no, the su command works just fine in the console, but when I go back to my folder again, where I wanted to change the file or do something else (not within the console, but using the konqueror) I still can't change it...

in other words... the su command is in the console window... the file is in the konqueror window.. and I don't have permission to change it..

..for whatever reason

mmm I personally use the mc command to launch Midnight Commander after SU (if installed :)). If you want to edit any file in etc, just go to the RUN dialog and go into Options and check "Run as a different user" and enter root then below Password required enter your root's pass. And in the command field use the path to your favorite text editor ( I suppose writing kwrite or kate will do the job, but if the kde is not in your PATH, search for the kwrite executable, usually /usr/bin/kwrite or /opt/kde/bin/kwrite but I've got no Suse to tell you for sure).

When you launch the editor, open the file and have fun smile

I suppose your problem comes from the point that, you think that if you open the console and write su, you're root everywhere, but indeed it's only the console where you have the rights. Of course you can launch konqueror from within the console as root, or you can use the same way to launch konq with root rights, as you open the editor (see above). I suggest using the mc application, for me it does the work perfectly, without the need of opening konqueror. Just move to the etc dir, select the file and press F4, edit it and press F10 to save and F10 to quit again smile

Good luck!

Using Suse with KDE, there is a shortcut to a "Superuser" Konqueror in the system menu of the Standard KDE Menu.

To change from the default Suse Menu to the Standard KDE Menu, open the Control Center, go to Appearance, then Menu. Change the radio button from Suse Menu to Standard KDE Menu.

If you do not want to go through all of that, you can make a shortcut on your desktop to Konqueror. When you create the shortcut, go to the Execute Tab on the Properties Windows. At the bottom of the Execute Tab, there is an option to run the program as another user. Specify "root" here and click "OK" on the properties window. Whenever you open that shortcut, it will prompt you for the root password. You will then be able to use Konqueror with root permissions.

Hope this helps.