Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
|VIO|Maverick

Halo

Quote:
Has anyone tested Halo with Wine/WineX yet?
I am wanting to setup a server for it, Wondering if it will run...

It installed flawlessly using WineX 3.1, but it errored out on me too when trying to start the game. I haven't found anything on the Transgaming forums yet either. I would like to get this one running as well. All that can be done is start a poll on the Transgaming site to have the game added to the supported list.

Talked about it with the transgaming people. They first need to finish their work on DirextX 9, once that's done, they might consider working on Wine.

Quote:
just tried it, got stuck on an error "Cannot load PidGen.dll" just after entering the product key. No idea how to handle this....

You need mfc42.dll in order for PidGen.dll to load.

Halo installed under WineX 3.1 for me, but hangs when you try and play it. Eventually I get an unhandled exception if I let it keep trying to start. Hopefully transgaming will make some DX9 progress soon.

There is a thread on the forum at halohq.org that some guy posted he had made Halo dedicated server run under wine. However when I tried it, I got the following results. Any ideas???

1st try - SuSE 9.0 with Wine-20031118.tar.gz. The install went fine, but when I run haloded.exe I get an error of "Cannot allocate required memory. Some application has loaded where Halo wants to be located."

2nd try - SuSE 9.0 with Transgaming Winex 3-3.0.1. Same as before, the install went fine, but when I run haloded.exe I get an error of "Cannot allocate required memory. Some application has loaded where Halo wants to be located."

3rd try - RedHat 9.0 with Wine-20031118.tar.gz. Same as before, the install went fine, but when I run haloded.exe I get an error of "Cannot allocate required memory. Some application has loaded where Halo wants to be located."

System specs -

PII 700

512 MB RAM

20 GB HDD

TNT2 16MB Video Card

They just came out with winex3.2, and judging from the performance boost I've gotten while running Trespasser, there are significant differences for the better between it and winex3.1. Maybe download 3.2 and try again. You might get similar improvements. smile

Thanx....too bad I didn't renew my Transgaming subscription after 3.1 came out. It seems like wine and winex are not handling memory like Halo would like.

Quote:
Thanx....too bad I didn't renew my Transgaming subscription after 3.1 came out. It seems like wine and winex are not handling memory like Halo would like.

I think that's one of the improvements..

It works fine for me... true I am using VMWare Workstation 4. (Wouldn't it be nice if they open sourced it?)