Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
_japsje

Serious problem while booting from my Mandrake 9.1 /9.2rc CD

When I boot the Mandrake 9.x cd, and press Enter, it tries to run kernel 2.2.24 (mandrake 9.1 and 9.2rc) and my system crashes.

If I choose to boot with the alt kernel, 2.2.18 or 2.2.19, everything goes well but when I reboot after the installation proces, it's still trying to boot with 2.2.24 and.... system hang when booting... almost directly.

So, how can I make sure, mandrake keeps booting with 2.2.18/19 instead of the newer one??

PLEASE HELP.

THANKS!!

this is not serious.

if you are using grub as your boot loader, look at /etc/grub.conf or wherever mdk puts it. if you are using lilo - check lilo.conf respectively. dont forget to run lilo after altering the conf file for changes to take effect. grub does not require that.

also dont forget that google and man are your friend. man grub for more info.

best regards,

Zambarra

Bootloader???

smile

I can't BOOT linux so how can I change any config file at all???

Ok, when I installed linux, reboot, bootloader.. choosing an option and it doesn't matter wich one cause my system hangs after choosing an option to boot......

sorry 'bout that smile misread that whole install cd part.

in that case -

whats the error message? kernel panic, what? you might need to pass some parameters to the kernel, depending on the error.

otherwise, just make sure you choose the 2.4.19 kernel during install, that'll prolly require going into expert mode or choosing individual packages, dont remember how mdk has.

good luck!

Zambarra

Hi, no hard feelings smile

Sometimes I can be very euhw, 'unclear' smile If you know what I mean.

Anyhow, if I boot from CD, I can choose the Working kernel,

but after mdk installation has been completed, it uses the not working kernel.

And I have no idea how to choose another kernel via the bootloader.

And if this is possible, what bootloader would you recommend and what paramaters and btw, what distro are you using?

This problem of mine occurs with Mandrake 9.1/9.2 . RH. Lycoris

whats the error message? need more info here to work with. smile

(im a redhat fan myself.)

just type the last 3-4 lines of text you are getting. IF you are getting any messages. as far as bootloaders go, my preference is set to whichever is installed by default. laugh

ok..

It stops around hda ... bla ... hdb... . I/O message and after this it hangs. frown mdk 9.2 rc2

mandrake 9.1 / rh.. . it suddenly reboots or hangs without any message..

right afer the Uncompressing kernel at the beginning

doesnt sound too good. get memtest-86 and check your ram for consistency.

also check your hdd for ecc errors. (might take a while)

have fun.

Zambarra

I think my mainboard isn't 100% anymore...

I tried al the four dimms independantly... Same errors..

hd is ok

maybe a fault in the IO chip??!

as a part of the troubleshooting process id warmly recommend knoppix, if that thing boots, your ram is prolly ok and if there are any problems, they show up in dmesg. see if you can get your hand on a copy of that.

www.knoppix.net

another suggestion is to let is sit for a while, see what happens. also, at the bootloader try this... hit a, delete all the parameters, type linux=single and hit enter. that *should* boot you into runlevel 1, sigle user mode, this is where most of troubleshooting occurs. see what happens. if you get to a command prompt - great, type in dmesg | less and look for errors to get a clue on whats going on.

googd luck,

zambarra