4 replies to this topic

#1 lenlost

lenlost

stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 08:46 AM

Hi

I have installed mandrake 9.1 - all went fine. Initially tried to use KDE as the default GUI - Once tried to boot up it seemed to get to the GUI interface (had a blue screen) then it seemed to hang up. Reinstalled 9.1 and choose Gnome this time and all worked fine. But can only access the Gnome modules - can't get any of the KDE games, for instance, to work - they start to load - a white window flashed onto the screen and off again before the title at the top of it can be read and then nothing else appears - can still continue to use Gnome though.

I have installed onto a clean system

AMD K2 350 CPU - 256MG RAM - S3 video card (4mb ram) - 10 Gb HDD that came out of am IBM computer

Any help would be appreciated - Very Very new to Linux so any help in word of one syllable (or less)

thanks

#2 Admiral LSD

Admiral LSD

old hand

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 10:38 PM

If I may be blunt, I'd forget any notion of running KDE on a system like that as it's likely to be too slow. In fact, I'd go so far as to say to forget running a Desktop Environment altogether and install a simple Window Manager like Blackbox or Fluxbox as neither of these bring even a fraction of the amount of overhead a full desktop does. One thing you might want to check out though is xfce which is supposed to be a fairly lightweight desktop although I don't have any practical experience with it.

#3 Zambarra

Zambarra

stranger

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 08:41 PM

The specs are very low. Being a kde user, I will admit to the fact that kde is heavy on the resources, and that system that you describe is painfully weak for recent window managers.

get fluxbox.

Zambarra

#4 IMcool

IMcool

stranger

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 08:38 PM

I am running KDE in Mandrake 9.1 with the same processor and memory. The MAIN difference is the video memory. I have an old RIVA TNT 2, which is 16Mb. Yours is, 4Mb?! Get a better video card and you will be fine. Also, what is your swap file size?

#5 Zambarra

Zambarra

stranger

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 08:59 PM

he has an s3 card and was lucky to get x working seamlessly. s3 cards are bad news for xfree86.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq