Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jay in PA

Creative SB Live! Series (WDM) Help in SuSe 8.2 Pro

Hello,

I am new to the board and to Linux. I just installed SuSe 8.2 Professional and the automatic configuration did not work for my sound card, Modem and Network Adapter. The OS recognized (listed in YaST) my Soundblaster Live! Soundcard but when I tested it , it did not work. I also tried using other listed Soundblaster drivers in YaST but that did not help. I tried turning volume all the way up on all parameters. I am confused because on this board (under compatibilty) my soundcard is listed as compatible but when I went to both the Linux and Creative Labs Websites they both list it as not supported. Does anybody know if this soundcard will work with 8.2? If so, How the heck do I get this Altec Lansing Surround Sound 5.1 to work? If anybody can guide this Windows Wiz but Linux idiot through this dilemma, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!!

Jay in PA

I guess you got a SBlive! 5.1, like the one that comes in a DELL machine. That card (CT0200) is not the genuine SBlive!. It contains a different chip set EMU10K1X which is not supported by linux.

There is a binary driver available from 4FrontTechnologies. This driver is NOT open source, nor is it free, it costs 35US$.

Thanks Berre and Blueworm for your replies. I got the sound and wireless networking resolved and purring like a kitten with my SuSE 8.2. See my October 27 post and/or my reply to Josua2311. I have a Dell Dimension 8250 with the hardware Berre described and the ONLY driver that powers front left and right speakers w/ subwoofer is the binary driver from Open Sound. Well worth the $15.00. Thanks again.

Jay in PA

oh, I forgot... all 4 speakers plus bass work right now at my computer... you only have the front ones working?

maybe that's because you have the Dell type of soundcard, cause I bought mine in a shop..

Jan!