Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mookie

Quake II under W2K

Having seen on the compatible games list that QII (original version) should run under W2K without problems I tried to install it. I tried both the normal setup.exe and also the one in the /install directory.

On both occasions it tells me that Quake does not run "under this langauge version of Windows 95/NT". Does that mean I have to change the locale of my PC? How can I find out what language version it is expecting?

I also want to install Half Life (the original version 1.0) - what do I need to do to get it to run on W2K? Download the latest patch? Or do I have to download some 'critical update' patches for it? Since I have never updated it (I don't play games very often!) I can't find any info on what I need to do to get it to run on W2K.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

------------------------------------------

Dell Precision 420 Workstation

Dual 600Mhz PIII's

512MB ECC RDRAM

Elsa Synergy Force 32MB (GeForce 256)

2x18GB 10,000RPM SCSI HDD

Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI

Just change your location to the US I guess smile

------------------

Supermicro P6DBE Rev 3.0 Motherboard

Dual Intel Pentium III 850

512 MEGS of ECC RAM

Sound Blaster Live!

Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card

GeForce 2 GTS 64MB

IBM DMVS18N Ultra 160 Hard Drive

Western Digital 20.5GB Hard Drive

Razer Boom Slang 2000 (USB)

Roland Sound Canvis SC-55

3COM 3CR990-TX-97 with 3XP Processor 10/100 PCI Network Interface Card

Plextor Plexwriter 12/4/32

Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM

Sony GDM-F500R Monitor

It depends where you bought the game.

If like me you live in the UK then it will be expecting English (United Kingdom) where if you are in the US it will be expecting English (United States).

Now I had this problem and I think I know where you haven;t set the default language.

It's a button that you think maybe it should do the job, but you don't expect it to bring up a sub menu smile

Go:

Control Panl>Regional Options

At the top you have the option of 'Locale' set this to where in the world you are.

Now at the bottom of this page you will also see a button 'Set Default'

Click this and a new box will open, once again select where in the world you are from this list.

Now after setting both of these you should find Quake2 both installs and plays as well as it ever did under Win98.

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine, ABit BE6-II, 384MB PC100 RAM (Samsung), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA66 22GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

Thanks for the reply - yes I am in the UK and I bought the game when I lived in Australia (which means it is probably the US version).

I did try changing the locale which didn't make any difference but I will try changing it in both locations and see what happens.

Cheers!