Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Timmay

Lindows Question

Since no one is answering on their super support forums, maybe someone can tell me what drivers to use for Lindows? Does a company have to make Lindows drivers? I have a Intel network card that it does not recognize, so I need drivers, the only options @ Intels support site are RedHat, Sus and Windows drivers. Its the onboard lan on a new Intel D875PBZ motherboard.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think that redpointpete was trying to tell you that you need to see if the kernel module (the driver in Linux language) is available in the kernel that ships with Lindows.

You do not mention what version of Lindows that you are using, but, I would suspect that you would need an updated kernel, such as 2.4.21 and build the support for the correct module, by recompiling the kernel.

Have you tried searching the forums with your motherboard model to see if anyone else has posted the same issue?

I do know that the other distros have limited or no support with the stock kernel for this ethernet chip.

You may also want to take a look at the following Debian thread, since Lindows is a modified Debian distro;

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg57398.html

Ahhh, that makes sense, I will check into that, I just downloaded the newest beta, it might be supported in that or worst case, might be easier to pull a D-Link or Linksys card out of the closet and run that smile Thanks guys.

I can tell you that d-link should work without a hitch. I do know that in most distros, possibly Lindows, that this chip is usually available as a module. If this is a new install, and you don't mind doing it (it only takes 15 minutes to install), put the D-link card in, disable the onboard LAN in the bios, and reinstall Lindows (if you don't want to recompile the kernel) and your up!

D-Link support is in the new 2.6.0 beta kernels, but I found some issues with using these new beta kernels in Lindows. They can also be had, if you are apt at using apt-get or synaptic, using the unstable tree (pun intended).

Yeah, I have used D-Link without problems under Suse, Lindows, RedHat and Mandrake, so that might be the easy shortcut.

Well, I was wrong, I have 2 versions of Linksys cards (2.0 and 4.1) an older 3com card and a Realtek card. I went with the Linksys 4.1 and am here now in Lindows working fine. That was much easier this way smile Thanks guys.