Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Toby

You must try this on RH8 for good looking fonts!

First time I actually bothered to read the releasenotes on the first CD for once wink

There you can read that you can take the fonts (*.ttf) from windows and put them in /usr/share/fonts and then run the command "fc-cache /usr/share/fonts". After that you will have the fonts ready for use (not in OO but I'm looking for a solution on that)

Second after some searching on the net I found this info.

Go and grab the beta of Mozilla with XFT support for RH8 here:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/experimental/xft/2002-10-03/

Just grab & untar mozilla-rh8-xft-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz to any directory like /usr/local and run /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla. Go back to this forum and check the differens from the bundled Mozilla. Now the font looks great!

I actually changed all my shortcuts to this version instead... Try it smile

/Toby

Got the fonts to work in OpenOffice by copying them to:

/usr/lib/openoffice/share/fonts/truetype/

/Toby

There's a couple of methods to get them to work in OpenOffice. First they can be imported using "spadmin", and second I read of a method where you setup a path in your XF86config file but I can't figure out how that works yet.

I have downloaded and applied the windows corefonts package to use under my Mandrake system, and Open Office changed the fonts with its inteface automatically. I don't know if Red Hat has offered some even better fonts than anyone else, maybe posting some screenshots will be nice smile .

MS downloadable corefonts package

http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

The thing is that RH has crippled KDE. I have used the Fontinstaller in KDE (Mandrake too) before but in this release RH has removed it. I think that RH8 works with fonts in another way, not supported with the availble tools.

At least I hope so, coz this method is not very strightforward smile

Anyway, if you are using RH8 check out that Mozilla build.

[edit] will add some screenshots tomorrow... [/edit]

Thank you guys for your great tip !!

my fonts works excellent and that Mozilla build is

very very neat..

browsing has never looked better

8)

//KenHan

Well I guess my fonts dont work that good. frown

I have copied verdana* form c:\winnt\Fonts to /usr/share/fonts and i did the fc-cache /usr/share/fonts thing, but i cannot change to verdana in mozilla nor in xchat. Only place i can find verdana font is in preferrence -> fonts.

Is there some other way (like mkfontdir command --> RH7.*) to change to verdana in xchat and other apps? ;(

Thanks.

Oh, btw, that mozilla thing makes my fonts look very small (i guess it has to do with my resolution which is 1280x1024).

Zuti, same thing happened here:

i copied all .TTF fonts from /Windows/Fonts to /usr/share/fonts, did the "fc-cache...", but i can't select them from anywhere.

That Mozilla build looks weird, to say the least...makes everything look tiny, even if i run at 1024x768.

Man Redhat 8 is a pain in the a$$ so far....:(

OK i got the fonts to be loaded, they have to be in a subdirectory under /fonts, not just in the /fonts dir. Run fc-cache and it works...

I will try that palos tnx.

I'm playing with wine at the moment. A mirc script on my windows partition doesnt work that well (a new mirc installation works better).

I dont now, i have mixed feelings about RH8. I have a real strange feeling about stability (did some kill -9's).

I guess its just me :-)

Quote:
The thing is that RH has crippled KDE. I have used the Fontinstaller in KDE (Mandrake too) before but in this release RH has removed it. I think that RH8 works with fonts in another way, not supported with the availble tools.

At least I hope so, coz this method is not very strightforward smile

Anyway, if you are using RH8 check out that Mozilla build.

[edit] will add some screenshots tomorrow... [/edit]

Hey Toby, where's our screencaps?

:P

Better late than never? wink

Both of these are from Phoenix, I took the file libgfx_gtk.so from a Mozilla XFT build and copied it to /Phoenix/components so it renders XFT the same as Mozilla but much more lightwieght.

I really got sick of the bloated Moz, it felt like forever to open up the app on my machine. While I think it looks quite good, MS/IE still looks alot better I think...

If some of you want the file to use in Phoenix and don't want to grab the whole Mozilla-build, I uploaded it here: http://m1.893.telia.com/~u89302417/libgfx_gtk.so

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

/Toby

I gave Redhat a shot, and feel it is broken out of the box. Redhat has had many distro versions put out now, and by now should have features that let you easily install remote printers, network with Windows boxes, set up the Apache server easily with PHP/MySQL, set up an email server on the home box. I can't help but get the feeling that Redhat chooses not to implement these kinds of features, in hopes that users will be salivating over buying the next release (and a lot of them do!), or paying for initial or additional technical support. How sad, hello Lycoris!