Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
braxin

dialin remote server network games ,problem

hi,does anyone have advise,info,[or can direct me to a site]on how to dail in to a rmote pc for a game of unreal tournament?,my pc runs nt4 [sp6] and my friend runs win98 first edition[p2400 98mb ram] i,ve been trying to get the game to run,as i,ve fixed his pc for him, i have it at my place,and we have to lines in the house,so i set up his pc as remote host,

these are the setings i used, for mine ,ppp:windows nt,windows95 plus,internet. and for his the same except his ends in win98 instead of 95,on my end the tcp/ip settings are server assigned ip address and server assigned ,name server address,

i have been able to dial in to his computer,with that done,i set up a ut game on his pc,go back to mine then start ut,however when looking for lan games in the ut browser,i cant see his game,but if i type in the ip address his pc has given me [192.168.55.2] [his being 192.168.55.1] i can then join the game,[ connection speed is 28.800bps]and for a minute or two i get a ping of 180-220 which is okay,but then my ping goes up to around 2300-6000 for most of the time and then drops back to 200 momentarily,b4 ending back up into the stratosphere,so at the moment its unplayable,on the other hand form his pc i can see alan game i,ve set up on my nt pc and join it no probs[dont have to type in the ip address]but still get the laggy ping,the modem in his pc is a motorola software modem,and is v90,kflex capable,and i,ve noticed that his modem seems to be sending data to mine ,though no file s are being transferred,even when out of agame,also the room in which his pc is currently installed is a fair way from the phone socket so its connected by a long extension line,when my pc connects to his i can only connect at 28,800bps ,but when i check his,he,s connected at 31,000bps,

well sorry for the long post,but i would like to solve this,as it stands the way its set up now,ive not had to meess with his internet settings which is preferable as its preferable to haveing to change your ip addys after every game,thx in advance for any help

i found out the cause ,it just the dum motorola sm56 software modem,tryed a netcomm software/hareware modem and it fine now,actually the netcomm modem in5692,runs beaut is dirt cheap and has drivers for win2k

------------------

braxanna