Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Josua2311

digital camera + sound card

ok, I have another two problems I can't find a solution for..

I bought a new Olympus C-750 digital camera but can't find drivers for Linux for it. I tried the automatic USB connection, but Linux doesn't recognize the camera.. I tried it using other camera settings but it still didn't work. In the photo shop the guy called Olympus, but they told him, they don't have Linux drivers for that camera... so what can I do about it? where am I to find such drivers? can I install the windows drivers using WinE?

btw. I use SuSE 8.2 Prof.. so if there's any usable tool on the DVD tell me..

ok, second thing. I can't get the dolby surround to work with Linux. It's a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 card, the support at the creativelabs site won't help me for problems with linux and they also don't have any drivers... how can I still use the surround??

thx for your help!

Jan!

Hi,

You should be able to mount the camera as an external hard drive as follows.

Make sure the camera is switched on.

Plug into a usb port.

you should have the correct usb modules installed for your mother board either ohci or uhci.

you will also need to have usb mass storage loaded as a module. Dont worry most Distributions

have all this all ready set in the default kernel config.

All you need to do now is create a mount point.

Code:
# mkdir /mnt/camera

and then mount the camera

Code:
# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

You will now beable to access your cameras files as if it where a harddrive.

To view photos I recommend gqview has exif support also.

As far as the sound card goes trywww.alsa-project.org

I run SuSE 8.2 pro and i personally have had no problems with digital camereas do what blueworm said and it should work. as far as finding a driver for it i would be really suprised if you found one for this simple reason, you don't need one. plug it in and suse should detect it as an usb storage device. if you kept the defalt setting for mounting hardware it should be detected automaticaly and an icon should show up on your desktop (something like sda or sda1 ect...) (i turned this feature off but if you haven't, you shouldn't have any problems)

linux isn't like windows you don't need drivers for every seperate thing you plug in.

you can also forget about wondows drivers with wine it just doesn't work

wine works for programs, not hardware

there are programs for hardware made for windows (like winmodems)

anyway i've used a couple olympus cameras with my system few nikon's and a fuji and have never had to install drivers, you just don't need them

well good luck with the camera wink

as far as the sound there are many drivers out there that the companies that make the hardware have not made, but others have. when looking for drivers try looking at other sources than the company that made the hardware.

yup, I tried it like you said blueworm, and it works perfectly. Thans a lot. I knew it would be easy, but I didn't know how easy it actually is :-)

well, for the sound I still didn't find any solution, I'm on vacation anyway right now, so still try to answer me to solve this problem...

thx alot.. Jan!

for your sound card i would check out suse's website to see if it is listed on their supported hardware list. if it is listed as yes it shouldn't be to hard to get it to work (at least thats the theory smile )

wel, Penguin Biker, unfortunately it is listed as 'not supported' on the Suse web site. It's a Soundblaster Live! 5.1...

well, actually it's working quite good, the bass and the front speaker work, just the back speakers and the middle one don't (the middle one didn't work with XP either)... so maybe it's just a problem with mixing the sound, but the one register where I can change things like Wave, LineIn, Surround and other stuff, no change of any options there seemed to work...

I had similar problems with the Turtle Beach card that came with my Diminsion 4550. The card worked, but not that well and I had no surroundsound with my Altec Lansing system. I finally picked up a regular old Soundblaster 16 PCI which works really well on 2 speakers and the sub-woofer. I havn't tried it yet with the other 2 speakers.

whats so wonderful about linux is that you can make anything work with enough work.

right now i'm trying to get me SiS integrated sound working in gentoo