Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slamU

Trying to run game servers on NT 4.0

I have NT 4.0 Workstation setup on one of my computers. My problem is I am trying to run a Q3 server on it, when I try to connect to the server my other computer just sits there and tries to connect forever. No errors or anything is even displayed on the Server about anything trying to connect to it.

I can telnet in to the thing. File Sharing works great. I can see and access all of the shard drives from all of the computers on my network. I just can't connect to my NT 4 machine using Q3.

I can run Q3 in dedicated mode just fine and have it connect.

I am running two win98 machines and the Server is a installion from a NT 4.0 Workstation CD(I know its not meant for servers, but it works fine for what I intend)

btw this goes for tring to run other dedicated servers. I've tried halflife, q2,q3 and unreal. They just sit there and try to connect.

Thanks for the help

slamU

Did you try using IPX yet? It seems that you are using IP with the telnet ability and all, maybe you should check to see if you can communicate any other way. Also, this problem occurs in Listen Mode as well? I see the statement;

"I can run Q3 in dedicated mode just fine and have it connect."

So I was wondering what you meant by it. Q3 is a great game, let's get you up and going...

laugh

------------------

Regards,

clutch

"I can run Q3 in dedicated mode just fine and have it connect."

Sorry bout that my fingers move faster then my brain thinks sometimes.

I meant

I can start the server in dedicated mode, I do not receive any error messages.

When I try to get one of the client computers to connect it just sits there trying to connect forever until I cancel.

You could probably simulate what I'm getting on the client side by trying to connect to an IP that doesn't have a q2 or q3 server running.

I havn't tried running a q3 server in listen mode.

/me mental note "proof read".

slamU

Don't hurt me to bad. So I forgot one little detail when I started my different game servers.

It really really really really helps to load a damn MAP!!!

slamU

NP bud. Hehehehe. Did you try IPX yet? It sounds like you have a port that isn't happening for you. So you can use TCP/IP only on your network and everything (meaning general network ops such as file transfers, browsing and the like) works well? Are all the subnet masks cool? It just sounds like you are having a config error of some sort. The telnet sessions that you can hold are usually a good indication of a properly setup network, but it never hurts to quadruple check.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Yeah, everything is working smooth now.

Setup IPX, and TCP/IP.

I found out I can't connect to a Quake3 server with telnet after all, it uses UDP packets.

slamU

Sweet! Now that you are up and running, you can work with IP a little more later on until you get it running properly.

------------------

Regards,

clutch