Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarU

Direct X 7.0a for win2k???? Will it work with win2k?

Microsoft says that win2k will be shipped with 7.0a but it only has 7.0. There is a download for 7.0a on microsoft's site, but it says only for win9x platforms. Is there anyway win2k users will be able to upgrade to this??

I am wondering this as well if there is or will be a 7.0a version for Wink2K? Disregarding the detailed filled reply earlier does anyone have any other information on this?

HAHAHAHA.....detailed reply....that was funny.

But seriously, we need some advice and some info from all of you smart guys. thx. smile

Win2k comes with dx7.0a, check the file versions and compare them with98 7.0a......

Seldzar, you are back.... Now i can get all my questions answered. smile

So it actually comes with 7.0a. Thats cool then. okay. Thank you. Check my other post about quake III fps right below this one. See what you can make of it. Thx.

I ran the following report for win2k using DirectX Diagonistic tool

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 3/31/2000, 22:04:31

Machine name: ########

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

Processor: Intel Pentium III (2 CPUs), 500MHz

Memory: 256MB RAM

Page File: 68MB used, 667MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 7.0 (4.07.00.0700)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.00.2134.0001

I can find no mention of DirectX 7.0a. Are we sure it comes with the final version of win2k?

Does anyone know why the DX Setup Parameters were not found?

[This message has been edited by jolmstead (edited 01 April 2000).]

Win2K doesn't come w/ DX7A... DX7A is just a very little upgrade... It just improve the support of Joysticks... Now check w/ DXDiag the version of dinput.dll (under Win98)... It says DX7 4.07.00.0716 ... The version of DX7A... Now check under Win2K the version of the file w/ DXDIAG... It says:

4.07.00.0700 = DX7. Another prove, run DXDIAG under Win98 it says : 4.07.00.0716.

Then run it under Win2K and it says: 4.07.00.0700... Now stop saying that Win2K comes w/ DX7A... It comes w/ DX7... And DX7A isn't nessessary if ur Joystick/or/Gamepad works fine...

No, I've spent the last day investigating this and trying to get DX7a to work, but the problem is that Win2k does not support VXD files, which DINPUT.DLL for Win98 uses. Therefore Microsoft have essentially ported DX7 to Win 2000 and have lied about the version they have released. I have e-mailed them for support, but they just keep referring me to another support site!

If anyone has a link to a DirectX8 beta, please,please post it :-(

As a matter of fact, I run Need for speed:Porsche unleashed (NFS5) on my W2k pro Build 2195 machine smoothly with a V3. As this game wouldnt settle for anything less than DX7.0a it is a proof for the inclusion of it in W2k. BTW, I have it all the way up to 1280x1024 without any noticable slowdown in W2k.

A joystick that is only kind of working is the whole reason for my interset in DX7a. With a non functional POV and buttons that cancel each out, it is really hard to to stay alive in Q3A. I have installed the latest SB drivers for WIN2K with no effect on the joystick problems.

I tried running down the DX8.0 drivers at http://premium.microsoft.com/directx/. What I ran into was a notice page wanting to me to registor. No problem execpt for the fact the regestration page does not exist???

Any other place to get the DX8.0? Can they be installed in WIN2K?

Thanks

------------------

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195)

Processor: Intel Pentium III (2 CPUs), 500MHz

MOtherBoard: SuperMicro P6DBE

Memory: 256MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 7.0 (4.07.00.0700)

Video Card name: 3d Blaster Annihilator Pro

Manufacturer: Creative Labs

Chip type: GeForce DDR

Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (85Hz)

Monitor: Iiyama A901HT

Sound Card: SB Live! Wave Device

That rigth jolmstead you must registor, you must be registor beta tester.

Be side DX8 is not ready for the frist beta test.

Thanks for the clarification. When I seen the URL I thougt we could reach out and download it....

Oh my God CycloneFr, you just solved the biggest mystery of the millennium!! Who would have thought that the new version of DX7 would be a little different from the one installed on win2k already? There's no difference anyway between the two, did you ever think that one OS is an NT based and the other was a 9x based? There are differences let me remind you.

man, listen, win2k comes right out of the box with DX7 installed, who gives a sh1t if its DX7a or not?

Hey, i got a copy of DirectX 9e (6.800.000.000.100.450.000.kiss.my.a$$.000.1a)

Want it?

Have a Nice Day.

[This message has been edited by EddiE314 (edited 03 April 2000).]

The reason EDDIE****FACE, is that we have joysticks that aren't working in windows 2000 since they require dx7a. When microsoft lie about the version they provide, and do not even provide an update, it is slightly pissing off.

Therefore we are trying to work out a way of getting DX7a for Win2k.

BTW does anyone have DX7a SDK, since MS says that that works on Win2k, so perhaps thats the answer?

who the fu*k cares if it doesn't support your joystick?! Use Windows98 if it bothers you that much, BTW, i qualified as a MS DirectX beta tester, i WAS going to post a link to the new version 8 for you when i got it, but due to your last comment about me, i don't think that will be happening. Sorry man. Sh1t happens.

Thats quite impressive! Congratulations on being a beta tester and having a link to DX8 beta. You must be the only person in the world to have a copy since no beta version is yet available. :-)

CYA later.

hey thats good smart a$$, did you actually read my last post or were you getting sucked off by your mom??

Original Post:

who the fu*k cares if it doesn't support your joystick?! Use Windows98 if it bothers you that much, BTW, i qualified as a MS DirectX beta tester, i WAS going to post a link to the new version 8 for you when i got it, but due to your last comment about me, i don't think that will be happening. Sorry man. Sh1t happens.

----------

Did you read this:

..., i WAS going to post a link to the new version 8 for you when i got it...

thats right dumbf*ck, when i get it, which mean i haven't yet recieved a link. Try reading instead of indulging in incest you little b1tch.

I apologise Eddie.

Is there a planned release date for Directx8 beta, or does anyone know when microsoft inform successful beta registrants?

anyhow for those of you who do care about getting joysticks to work on win2k using dx7a, i've downloaded the sdk and when i next reboot, perhaps the problem will have been fixed?

Perhaps the most important question in the whole thread is the one I am about to ask. How the heck can anyone play Quake 3 with a joystick!!!???? To me that's like playing Quake 3 on a dreamcast with a puny arse controller.

Back in the Quake 1 days, I played Q1 with a gravis gamepad. Then, I found the keyboard/mouse combo, and kicked many a$$'s ever since =)

We all start somewhere

Lets end this ridiculus thread

------------------

BoDEAN

http://www.sammyhagar.net

keyboard + mouse combo is the way to go, i can't see myself playing q3a with anything else, even now when i go back and play GLQuake, i have to open the console and type: "+mlook", same goes for QuakeII.

As far as when MS will relese DX8 beta, i haven't even recieved anymore e-mails from them on it. so your guess is as good as mine.

[This message has been edited by EddiE314 (edited 06 April 2000).]