Compatible Support Forums
packman

XP's CD/DVD-writer any good?

For years now, I've always used a cut-down version of Nero that I bought and put on my WinXP PC for writing CDs and DVDs. Alongside it, I've used InCD, the packetiser from Nero/Ahead that allows you to format/write/read re-writeable CDs and DVDs. But I realised a few days ago that WinXP itself has a CD/DVD-writer. (Crikey, all these years I never realised it was there!). I've explored it a little but, not unexpectedly, the features look a bit limited. Does anyone know if the WinXP writer is any good, when put to the ultimate test? Anyone ever used it?

A number of questions come to mind, such as:

1) Is it multi-session, in that you're able to write some files and then, in a later completely different session, add some more files to the same disk?

2) Which formats does it use when writing music files? .cda? Or just .mp3?

3) Is it possible to insert a silent period of, say, 3 secs, between audio tracks?

4) Can re-writeable disks be used?

5) Does it include a means to erase and re-use re-writeable disks?

6) Does it handle DVDs in addition to CDs?

I'm in a situation at the moment where I've just finished building a new PC, still using WinXP. I've installed most of my apps and utilities. My editions of Nero and InCD have yet to be installed, though. The question is: Do I now really need them? Can the built-in WinXP writer do the same job?

For years now, I've always used a cut-down version of Nero that I bought and put on my WinXP PC for writing CDs and DVDs. Alongside it, I've used InCD, the packetiser from Nero/Ahead that allows you to format/write/read re-writeable CDs and DVDs. But I realised a few days ago that WinXP itself has a CD/DVD-writer. (Crikey, all these years I never realised it was there!). I've explored it a little but, not unexpectedly, the features look a bit limited. Does anyone know if the WinXP writer is any good, when put to the ultimate test? Anyone ever used it?

1) Is it multi-session, in that you're able to write some files and then, in a later completely different session, add some more files to the same disk?

3) Is it possible to insert a silent period of, say, 3 secs, between audio tracks?

I'm in a situation at the moment where I've just finished building a new PC, still using WinXP. I've installed most of my apps and utilities. My editions of Nero and InCD have yet to be installed, though. The question is: Do I now really need them? Can the built-in WinXP writer do the same job?

I have used the free CDBurnerXP for so long that I had almost forgotten about WinXP burner... CDBXP does everything I need, generally, and on those occasional times when I need something else, the WinXP burner worked okay, nothing fancy, just gets the job done, but I do not know if this is much help to you, I use CDBXP and ImgBurn now, both free and much more capable programs... I do Tech Support for about 25-30 different customers and also do contract work for about 5-8 different contractors, and I carry CDBXP with me and use it on the job and install it on customers computers and show them how to use it... B)