Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sotti

win2k is microsoft's gaming OS of choice

Okay I've got one for all those people that run around sayin win2k is not a gamers os. And yes I have seen the offical statements sayin for gaming use 98/me, for apps use 2k. With that said why would microsoft choose to put the win2k kernel as the os for their newly announced(longtimed rumored) x-box?

because it's stability and functionality are clearly the best choice for gaming. Everything else is driver problems.

proceed to flame away.

[This message has been edited by sotti (edited 26 March 2000).]

I've been under the impression that three of the major reasons Win2K isn't recommended as a game system are 1) hardware support isn't as great as Win9x (though it's gettin' there) 2) not-so-great DOS/legacy support, and there are still some great games that use the old technology (but not a whole bunch) and 3) Win2K is more of a resource hog.

Well, with the X-Box, 1) it's one set o' hardware, so no real troubles dealing with compatibility. One X-Box is basically the same as any other 2) games designed from the ground-up for the Win2K kernel and 3) basically the same as response one: they know the hardware's there to support it.

So, Win2K's uber-stable kernel makes sense.

(And, BTW, I use Win2K as my gaming OS of choice :-))

And what should a games console not do..??

Crash..!!!

And what does Win9X Kernel do..??

Need I say more..!!!!