Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tender_foot

Newbie needs help with installing xine on red hat 9

Please help me! My linux experience is about 3 weeks old now and up until now,it has been a comfortable learning curve. I'm having trouble trying to install xine and what I'm looking for is an idiot-proof procedure to install xine! Tried using rpms but I get dependency complaints which leave me baffled frown as I don't know the install sequence; tried using apt-get and again no luck frown as it complains that it can't find the xine-0.9.22-1.fr.i386.rpm package.

If someone could spoon-feed me a fool-proof procedure for me I will be extremely grateful, ie what to get, install sequence, what to look out for etc etc smile

found the rpm apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm then I it installed fine but when I tried this command apt-get update && apt-get install synaptic it failed with errors like these...

Err http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386 release

Temporary failure resolving 'ayo.freshrpms.net'

Failed to fetch http://ayo.freshrpms.net/redhat/9/i386/base/release Temporary failure resolving 'ayo.freshrpms.net'

Reading Package Lists... Done

Building Dependency Tree... Done

W: Release files for some repositories could not be retrieved or authenticated. Such repositories are being ignored.

W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

(I got the instructions from http://www.linuxworld.palos.org/)

Any suggestions are always welcome!

Thanks

After installing apt, you must install synaptic rpm.

It will maybe ask you for another library.

When this is done, you should have a Synaptic icon in your menu SystemTools.

Launch synaptic, and this will be OK.

If not, lauch synaptic (root)

Working with synaptic gui, is much moer confortable than apt command line ;-)

Good luck.

Philippe

Quote:
Please help me! My linux experience is about 3 weeks old now and up until now,it has been a comfortable learning curve. I'm having trouble trying to install xine and what I'm looking for is an idiot-proof procedure to install xine! Tried using rpms but I get dependency complaints which leave me baffled frown as I don't know the install sequence; tried using apt-get and again no luck frown as it complains that it can't find the xine-0.9.22-1.fr.i386.rpm package.

If someone could spoon-feed me a fool-proof procedure for me I will be extremely grateful, ie what to get, install sequence, what to look out for etc etc smile

I am currently adding something to my website on installing Xine, MPlayer, and Ogle. The bad thing is that it is for Mandrake Linux. If I am not mistaken though, Xine should come on one of the RH CD's does it not ? I know it comes with most distributions by default. You just have to install the DVD plugins, and the Divx Codecs. etc. Please correct me if this is not true with RH .

the repository that apt is trying to use is not working you need to change that. go to /etc/apt/ and open sources.list and edit (change) the repository (go to freshrpms and find a list of repository or do a google search for apt for redhat) Then do apt-get update...apt-get -f install...apt-get install synaptic to start synaptic type synaptic at a root promt. and install xine-ui or do apt-get install xine-ui.

good luck