Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

Does updating Office2003 produce Office2007/10?

Does applying periodic updates to Office 2003 Standard, either via the Windows Update website or the Office section of microsoft.com, change the style/appearance of Office 2003's constituent components (Outlook, Excel, Word, etc)? That's to say, other than the up[censored] applying security fixes and the occasional bug fix, does it also effectively migrate the 2003 edition toward the 2007 and later edition and therefore alter its user interface and its compatibility with other products?

I'm about to install 2003 on a new machine and, although I intend adding the security updates for it, I'll prefer to keep the 2003 user interface and general appearance of it, together with its compatibility with most aspects of the later editions of Windows.

No, the updates will not change the style after they contain only bug fixes.

Thanks for that reassurance, Philipp. You make it sound as though the updates number only one or two but, at microsoft.com, I found a 'Service Pack 3 for Office 2003' and it's over 117MB, so I think SP3 is more than just a handful of bug fixes. I guess a lot of it is security fixes.

Yeh, so the plan now is to use 'SP3 for Office 2003', then visit the WU website to get the very latest updates.