Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
capc

Choppy Mandrake Graphics

So far my linux experience has been good. I actually just started using Mandrake 9.1 on Monday, but ive run into a problem.

My geforce 2 mx400 has super choppy graphics in 3d games like tux racer, One of my main reasons for swithcing to linux was to play tux racer, and if i cant... ill just die.

Ive downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers, but when i double click on it, it says its already installed. But if i open up Konsole and type sh *drivername, it says xwindows is open and I have to close it...

So if anyone has any ideas on how to close x windows, or better yet fix my graphics card, it would be greatly appreciated!

well, actually i just typed the same thing ./*drivername except as root and it worked :P. And then i changed the xf86config like it recommended.

But now, tux racing wont even load! It just does that spinny hour glass at the bottom and closes... any ideas?

no... actually... just xf86config .... i hope i didnt screw too much up frown

If you haven't got XFree86 3.x installed then XF86Config and XF86Config-4 are interchangable, it doesn't matter which one you edit as X will look at them both. Here on Gentoo I'm running XFree86 4.3.0 and I only have XF86Config.

Yeah.. but on Mandrake 9.1 there's XF86Config-4.. and I was getting choppy graphics myself.. untill I edited it.

That's because Mandrake installs both XFree86 3.3.x and 4.x, if you choose not to install 3.3.x (and I'm sure the last time I tried MDK it gave you just such an option) and rename XF86Config-4 to XF86Config it should work just as well wink

Yah, when i installed mandrake i had no idea what xfree was... so i just picked the highest number ;( .

So ill do that and hope i can get tux racer going!