Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

Reinstalling WinXP: How do I ensure I get IE7?

I'm currently planning the build of a new Windows PC, to replace my slow, 10-yr old machine. Pretty much all of the hardware will be different, so I'm going to have to install my WinXP SP2 (32-bit) and other software from scratch and then apply the appropriate updates again. I've hitherto been using Internet Explorer 7 as my browser and, although I know that IE8 is currently the latest version, I actually prefer IE7. Is there any way I can assure my ending up with IE7 when I download all the updates to WinXP from the Windows Update website, rather than IE7, as surely all I'll be offered by WU in the way of Internet Explorer will be IE8? I always do my updates from WU manually, BTW. Up[censored] XP with SP3 (which I have as an exe file) is one of the first things I'll do on the new machine, and that will get me to IE6. But how can I then just go to IE7, rather than IE8?

For future use, you can always slipstream IE7 (plus drivers, service packs, updates, newer versions of Windows Media Player, etc) in to a custom made WinXP installation disc. You'd copy the files from your current install disc to a folder on your desktop. Then use something like RyanVM Integrator or nLite to build the custom disc. You'll end up with an ISO file which you can then burn as an image using your favorite burning software. For detailed info, check the guides available at the links I provided, or use Google. When I was still using XP, I built a disc with all my drivers, SP3, all post SP3 updates, Flash Player, IE8, media codecs, all built in, so when I performed a clean install, it was one simple step. It really saves a lot of time in the long run not having to install each driver separately, not having to download updates, etc....