Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
peaje

Windows 2000 Professional Pre-Installed Systems Will Not Inc

For those who still think that Windows 2000 is a nice gaming plataform.. take another look.

Sorry dudes..

Windows 2000 Professional Pre-Installed Systems Will Not Include the Setup Media CD Wednesday, 11:31pm CDT

I have just received a quick note informing me of an interesting information that I was not aware of. In case you did not know, Microsoft is "forcing OEM manufacturers to ship Windows 2000 Professional as a non-media OS." All other Editions (Server, Advanced Server, Datacenter Server) will ship with a CD, but pre-installed Windows 2000 Professional systems will not come with a Setup Media CD. According to the note I received, "no OEM is allowed to ship Windows 2000 Professional with a full retail copy of the Windows 2000 CD."

Tell me if you really know what this is.

Later

Not ture.

We all know OEM don't get a full retail copy

in stead you get aka "Complimentary" copy,

witch has no setup.exe or winnt.exe nor winnt32.exe on it.

I'm a Microsoft OEM System Builder program member - so I can speak with some authority on this.

OEMs (true OEMs who buy real, non-pirated, Microsoft authorized product) have never shipped "full" product. Instead, a CD of the product is included, but it can't be used to just install on a computer. For example, Windows 9X OEM can only be installed on a blank hard drive. If the hard drive is formatted, then its setup will not function correctly.

Now with Windows 2000, I believe that MS is going a step further, where the OEM must do a pre-install of the product. This does not mean that someone who purchases a new comp with Windows 2000 does not get a CD, rather it means that the CD given cannot be used to install on any machine or used to upgrade a computer.

You'll still get a CD with all the needed cab files - you just can't use it to upgrade all the other computers around you.

Regards...

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

And say that in the course of action Joe Shmoe decides he wants to try out Corel's Linux, or Linux-Mandrake. Very viable, I've had several co-workers want to borrow my Corel Linux CD. And they go home, figure, you know I can wipe this HD clean if I don't like Linux I'll go back to 2000. And some will like Corel's linux and stick to it. Others won't. And when they find out that they have no way of reinstalling 2000.... What is Microsoft so afraid of? It seems to me they are so worried about piracy etc. due to the ridiculously (SP?) high cost of Windows 2000. IF you think about it you are handing over more than $300 for a piece of plastic. Granted this plastic has couple millions lines of code etched into it but still. If MS wants Win2k to be as popular as 95 was, they might wanna rethink their pricing scheme and realize that non-business type want thsi product too.

Cheers,

Steve

ByronT there are two type of OEM CD "aka Microsoft OEM System Builder"

1: Custom OEM CD are for

Dell, Hp & a few other Joe Blow out there that must buy 1000 of CD each mouth those will not come setup.exe nor winnt.exe & can't be use to upgrade.

2: Standerd OEM CD are for

The MoM & PoP shop they don't get that type CD from MS in fact they don't even get it from MS at all, they get true OEMs CD with setup.exe or winnt.exe just like Custom CD there can't be use to upgrade "aka Warehouse Deal CD".

First off I just want to ask peaje, out of all you jsut copied and pasted there, what the f**k did any of that have to do with gaming?....silly, pointless and silly....enough already.

Opsss hehehehe sorry.. that was something i was copying from an irc channel.. i think it slip on to the copy of the thread..

sorry about that..

hehehehehe