Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
antwan

Asus Geforce FX5200 (Asus)

NO way to instal my Asus Geforce FX5200 (Asus) video card with Linux red hat 7.2 and 9.0 frown

Fatal Io error 104 is written during iunstallation, and, no x server is working.

What should I do ?!

nvidia driver ask me ld. It doesn't find ld and ask me if I instal binutils.

But i don't know what is it ?

binutils is a collection of tools used in the creation of binaries from source code. It's strange that it's not installed on your system, did you elect to install the "Development" package group (along with "Kernel Development" as that includes the kernel source which is usually a critical component when compiling stuff)?

You want to say yes to binutils. Basically if the nvidia drivers cant find a pre-compiled kernel module from the ftp then it has to try to compile one for it's self based on your computer. Thus the reason it needs binutils. Just run the drivers and say yes to everything. You'll also need to edit (in RH9 any way) /etc/X11/XF86Config towards the bottom is the display adapter type. You'll see a line that says 'nv' on it. Change that to 'nvidia'. That will make the nvidia kernel module load on xstartup.