Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jmmijo

Windows 98-SE + Radeon 9550SE

Anybody have any issues with some/all of the ATi or Omega drivers for Windows 98-SE ???

I was doing some testing on a dual-boot box I have with this OS and Windows 2000 Pro.

I'm trying to use the latest ATi driver package, the Catalyst v6.2 for both OS's and it works great under Windows 2000 but doesn't allow for normal mode booting under 98-SE.

The mobo is an older Soyo 845PE, Socket 478 with ISA slots believe it or not.

I still have a Voodoo 5, 5500 PCI card but wanted to try out some things using some Glide Wrappers vs. OpenGL vs. DirectX in older games., this card worked great in both OS's using the latest 3Dfx drivers and many of the modded community driver pacakges without any issues.

The great folks at Vogons have tons of info but nothing specific about using this card with Windows 98 gaming (maybe Dos Freak has some tips for me wink.gif

Of course if I go into safe mode and uninstall the drivers and reboot it will load normal mode and then want to reinstall the drivers.

I even downloaded the latest Omega Driver Package for 98-SE and again they work great under Windows 2000 but not 98-SE.

I have an older GeForce MX440 AGP card so I will probably grab that one and see if it works better under 98-SE but I wanted something with more power then this card for my game testing.

Anybody think that this older motherboard has some kind of compatibility with this card or just the case of ATi drivers being buggy under 98 ???

I can still pickup some newer AGP based cards with either ATi/AMD or nVidia GPU's but really I only need so much horsepower.

I can say that Windows 2000 works great with this card and using a Glidewrapper, I used SiN as my test game, updated to v1.11 and using both the GlideGL via the wrapper and DefaultGL.

Default worked faster and looked better due to the fact I could go widescreen mode like 1280 x 1024 where the GlideGL limited me to something like 1024 x 768.