Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Buffy283

help with XFConfig86 for GF4 Ti 4600

When i try to edit my config file using this command(under failsafe without GUI) vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 i get this screen;

~ <------ this tilde sign from top to bottm of the screen

~

~

~

~

~

~

"/etc/X11/XF86config-4" [NEW FILE] 0,0-1 all

I can't work with this....un-editable...

When i go to su...same thing un-editable. They say it can be edit by KDE(word processor like) NOT TRUE I don't have permission this file is without permission what so ever...... I'm going bezerk!!!!!!! I followed the nvidia instruction step by step and it's a no go.

> "/etc/X11/XF86config-4" [NEW FILE] 0,0-1 all

^^^^^^^^^

I think this sums up your problem pretty well. There is no file /etc/X11/XF86config-4. Check

which file is your XFree configuration file, probably something like

etc/X11/XF86config, then. If you're unable to find it, start X, and check your X log file

(probably /var/log/XFree86.0.log or similar). That will print a line

(==) Using config file: "/path/to/config"

Once you have found the correct file, you can edit it with whatever editor you like. And yes,

you have to be root to do that...

> this file is without permission what so ever.

That's because that file doesn't exist. Find the correct file and check the permission with

ls -l.

--- G

Syntax error. It is not XF86config-4, it is XF86Config-4 a capital "C" in config.

Duh. Missed that.

Buffy283, learn to use the TAB key. It'll save you a lot of this sort of trouble.

--- G

I now am able to go into this file.......I CANNOT EDIT IT....on Mandrake Experience site he says how to modify.....but not how i can modify it....what do i have to do to be able to write something there....what actual command....usually(windows) you get into the dam file write what ever you want, save and that's it end of story! but not in linux noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! what is it??? do i have to stand up cross my fingers hit ctrl-w-se-2.03.4.56.432.54.5.......oh man i'm so pissed off right now....nobody told me it would be easy...on the other hand nobody told me it would be that hard....i've been trying for about 7-8 hours(not straight Thank God) over a period of one week....couples of hours here and there, just to download and install these drivers.......Sarcasm is my middle name and i begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel...i'm not sure but i think it's Bill Gates waving a flashlight at me.

I f you want to tell me how to edit a file it's fine....if you don't it's fine too...i'm at the end of my rope here......sorry!! :x

So you want the crash course in how to set up X? Ok then, lets see what we can do.

First of all, you have to grab the latest nVidia Linux drivers for your graphics card. The latest atm is 4496 and while I could post a direct link it's best to post a link to the nVidia drivers page instead and say to get the latest drivers, go there, select Graphics Driver, GeForce and TNT, Linux IA32 and press Go. Once you're at the driver page, download the installation script and follow the directions to install it on your system.

Now we get to the fun part, actually configuring X. I don't know enough about mdk to suggest an easier way of doing this so I'll suggest the somewhat tricker (but dead simple once you get the hang of it) method that I know works on every distribution: the xf86config script. Before you start configuring X though, you need to collect a bit of information about your hardware:

1. Keyboard type

2. Mouse type

3. Horizontal and Vertical refresh rate ranges for your monitor

4. Video card chipset

5. Default resolution and colour depth

Much of this can be gleaned from manuals or manufacturers websites. Once you have the info, boot to a terminal and then as root type:

Code:
xf86config

and press enter. It'll be confusing at first but just read through every screen and pick the option that bests suits your hardware. You'll be asked a few questions in between the main hardware choices but many of them can safely be said "no" to. When you get to the video card section, don't go looking for your Ti4600 instead look for, on the first two pages of cards, a driver for a generic nVidia card using the nv driver. Feel free to name it after your Ti4600 afterward though. When you've completed the scrip you'll have a fresh, albeit rather basic, XF86Config file to work with. Before you startx though, you need to make a couple of minor edits to said XF86Config file the details of which are in the nVidia driver release notes under the section "EDITING YOUR XF86CONFIG FILE"

hth but truth be told, there are probably tons and tons of web sites that can explain the procedure better than I can, possibly even pointing you in the direction of an easier tool to use, so I suggest you try googling on "XFree86 Configuration" or something like that.

You may already know this, and if so please disregard, but to actually *edit* your file in vi, you need to hit the insert key after the file has loaded, and hit it again if you want "overstrike" style editing, you should see the word insert at the lower left of your console. When you're finished, hit escape to exit edit mode and a colon then x, to exit and save the file.

Quote:
you need to hit the insert key after the file has loaded, and hit it again if you want "overstrike" style editing, you should see the word insert at the lower left of your console. When you're finished, hit escape to exit edit mode and a colon then x, to exit and save the file.

That i saw "insert" :now i'm not sure but i think i saw this when i did ctrl-s to....you guessed it: save

But i was only wild guessing...coz and i know it's obvious for a Linux user, but not for a beginner....in short i dunno anything about using the editor....silly me i thought that every thing would be written on the lower page of the editor,command to do save/copy and so on....Thank you very much!!! with the tone i used in my last post i didn't even think someone would answer....i want to Love Linux!!!

Quote:
So you want the crash course in how to set up X? Ok then, lets see what we can do.

Now we get to the fun part, actually configuring X. I don't know enough about mdk to suggest an easier way of doing this so I'll suggest the somewhat tricker (but dead simple once you get the hang of it) method that I know works on every distribution: .

Thank you very much for your timeand input. I'll take a little break from the penguin and saddle back up. wink

Quote:
Quote:

Now we get to the fun part, actually configuring X. I don't know enough about mdk to suggest an easier way of doing this so I'll suggest the somewhat tricker (but dead simple once you get the hang of it) method that I know works on every distribution: .

Thank you very much for your timeand input. I'll take a little break from the penguin and saddle back up. wink

You can check my site out as well for a how to on installing and editing the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, once you have installed the NVIdia drivers. You also have to make sure you are ROOT when you are installing and editing the files. I also have another program which I use to make my config changes on the fly in X, it is called YANC (Yet another NVidia Configurator). Check it out.