Compatible Support Forums
mjwebb007

Fast User Switching Issue in Win7

The guy I work for is using a Win7 32-bit Dell Latitude laptop. When he goes to switch users (he has five different profiles set up), the screen often goes black and nothing happens. After I randomly hit the ESC button, the Win button, the spacebar or the mouse button (no rhyme or reason) it eventually presents the user login screen (usually after 3 or 4 minutes of the button pushing). If I don't do anything, it never comes up - left it for 15 minutes and still had the black screen. Sometimes it has the screen background for the user login screen but it just stays that way with no selectable users. He does have programs open (usually documents and Outlook 2007) when he switches from one to another, but he needs to be able to switch back and forth without powering down the computer. His solution because he doesn't have the patience I do ;) is to shut it down and be pissed about losing the document he is working on or the website he was looking at. Admittedly there are built-in recoveries for these issues but it shouldn't be how it is. Any help would be appreciated.

So he keeps an external hard drive attached to the docking station that is formatted in FAT32. His laptop (Win7 32-bit) is obviously NTFS. When I disconnected the hard drive, the issue improved (I could switch between one or two of the profiles a few times, then it eventually locked up). I haven't been able to find anything anywhere to help with this. Any ideas?

Also, another employee has the same model and spec laptop and has multiple user accounts (including a mirror of one of his) and she doesn't have any issues.

Step 1 Create a user account. Common user account setup types are the standard user account, the guest user account and the administrator user account.

Step 2 Save all open files or documents before switching to another user account. Windows 7 does not automatically save files or documents that are open before switching to another user account.

Step 3Click the "Start" button. Then click the arrow beside the lock button. After creating two or more user accounts, you can now switch between the user accounts.

Step 4 Click the "Switch User" option. As soon as you are in the Switch User screen, click the user account you wish to use or switch to. After choosing your preferred user account, you will then be directed to your chosen customized computer user account.

Step 5 Contact Windows customer support service if ever you encounter any problem with the user switching procedures of your windows 7-powered PC.

I appreciate someone replying but my problem is not with creating additional user accounts. I know how to do that. As does he. I thought it was obvious when I said he has five user accounts that we both knew how to create them.