Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
palaia

Linux neophite with install glitch

Installed suse 8.2 today successfully.Yeah!One step closer to being M$-Free! One machine, dual boot with win98se.Had trouble only with modem config during set up, as the "test" would repeatedly fail.

Finally skipped it to complete install. Returned via Yast2 to config. During the config process it fails to recognize my us robotics 56k fax pci modem. only once was it displayed in the window.

When i attempt to get connected i hear the modem activate however it never connects. i repeat the process over and over hoping i stumble upon the proper confg to get it working. Any ideas or known probelms with this dual boot set up or my us robotics 56k fax pci modem?

Your modem isn't a software or 'winmodem' is it? Winmodems rely on your system processor to do the connection mathmatics which means most of the connection handling gets handed on via software. These modems dont fair so well under linux. If you want to see whats supported and whats not check this out. http://www.linmodems.org/

If it's not a winmodem then you've got some other issue. You'll probably need to do some command line trouble shooting to find where the problem is. Unfortunately I dont know to much about that subject having ditched dial up for broadband several years ago when cable modem was introduced. I'm sure some one else on the forum will be able to help you out. Good luck correcting the issue!

I have just installed SuSe 8.2 and will admit that it found and configured my network card and cable modem without any input from me. The other modem, a PCI hardware type was detected, but not configured properly.

I know from experience there are a few simple steps to getting a PCI modem working under Linux, where Linux has not configured it perfectly.

Firstly, go back into Windows, open device manager, right click on modem, and select properties. Write down the IRQ, and I/O addresses and UART

Alternatively, open the control panel, go to modems, and get properties off the modem in question.

You will need COM Port, IRQ, UART and I/O address

Next go back into Linux, open a terminal, change to su, and type

cat /proc/pci

this should give you a listing of everything on your PCI sockets. Hopefully, you will be able to see your modem there. Check that it is using the same IRQ, Port, and I/O address, and UART type. Sometimes linux sees everything but the UART type.

If there are differences, (and remember that Com 5 in Windows is ttyS4 in Linux) , as su run the command in a terminal.

setserial -aGv /dev/ttySx (where x is your Com Port number)

eg. Com 5 becomes ttyS4 etc.

This will give you a reading of what Linux thinks is at that port. If everything is there but the UART type, feed it back, in the same format, but adding UART 16550A etc. whatever your UART is. Other times you may have to specify the correct IRQ or I/O address, but this is rare.

Hopefully, your hardware modem will now fire up with KPPP.

Remember to point KPPP to the right device though, and that it will usually need a llock file (tick the boc in KPPP)

Setserial is included on most distributions.

In some distributions, ttyS0 to ttyS2 are initialsed only. If this is the case, go file manager, super user mode, open /etc/rc.local in an editor, and add

--setserial

to the last line

Reboot, and hopefully, your modem will be automatically initialiised

You will only need to do this if KPPP does not show ttyS4 or whatever Port your modem is connected to.

hope this helps.