Compatible Support Forums
clifford currey

external hard drive excluded from computer

I recently recieved a Dell Optiplex GX520 computer with Windows Xp Pro Sp2, and I connected a Western Digital My Book 1TB External Hard Drive,

Everything worked fine until 2/19/10 When I installed a new video driver. I started seeing "Windows-Delayed Write Failed" messages. I tried a solution that I found online it didnt work. My Brother-in-Law suggested that I go into the policies tab and changeing the setting from "Quick Disconnect" to "Opimized for Performance" when I did this, the computer promted me to restart the computer, when Windows restarted I found that the computer could no longer see the external hard drive. I tried to perform a system restore but recieved a message: The Changes To Drives N:/M:/L:/K: cannot be reverced because the drive has been excluded from the computer. i would be greatful for any help. Thank You

Take the driver out of the enclosure and connect it internally to your computer.

If the computer can see the drive then download the diagnostics from Western Digital and scan the drive.

If computer can't see it then verify you have everything connected correctly, if not then it' toast and only a professional service can fix it.

Hi DosFreak

This is Ferris23 from back in the 3DFiles days. Not sure if you remember me but I wanted to say hello.