Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hroberts2

Enabling remote desktop from run

cryHelp....

Got a major problem that I'm trying to solve. I have a dell d610 laptop that the display has gone out. I've tried plugging a monitor into it and everything and none of those solutions work. I've decided that the only option to access that computer would be to remote into it, there in lies the problem, I have that computer locked down tight from remote access. The only way that I can figure how to do it is by logging onto the computer and changing the settings manually, BUT I can't SEE.

How would you turn on (enable) remote desktop from the run line BLIND? I can log into windows blind and even get to stuff from memory and the keyboard, but since I've never had need of turning enabling remote desktop I can't see it in my mind to do it.

Any clues????

Thanks Herman

ps. I've even tried enabling it from another computer put I've also locked down any type of access in the local security policy of the target machine.

cry

Did you Switch the video image when connected to the external monitor by pressing <Fn><F8> to switch the video image to the external display?

BTW, your other post will be deleted, to avoid any confusion with multiple posts on the same subject.

Read an article which might help you out. Connect the machine to a network and open the registry on another computer. Connect to the machine-in-question's registry. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server

Change the value of "fDenyTSConnections" from 1 to 0. That should enable it.

Source: http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/98551/enable-remote-desktop-over-a-network-on-demand.html

If that doesn't work, you can check out this article: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/W...opRemotely.html

Thanks guys for your help so far put none of those solutions will work since I had disabled "ANY" type of remote access to that computer. As stated in my original post I will have to be able to enable remote access on the target machine itself BUT I will have to be able to do this Blind since I have no video support.

Thanks

Herman

Alright guys, first I want to thank everyone for the help you’ve given so far. But I want everyone to know that all those suggestions have been tried some of them before I even made a post. The help I need is for someone to guide me through the steps of enabling remote desktop assistance on an XP machine with my eyes closed (literally), I have my laptop so locked down (when the video was working) that any remote access would have been met with “Access Denied” every time. I have physical access to the laptop and I know that it is logged into windows (I can hear it when it boots up) but that’s all. Its at that time where I need to close my eyes and go by keyboard shortcuts to navigate around. That’s why I now need your help to enable remote desktop, I haven’t done it enough to do it in my mind’s eye without physically looking at it… Can anyone help?

Thanks

Herman

Okay, I know what you mean now. Here's what you do:

1- Hold down your Windows key and hit Pause|Break.

2- Hit the left arrow 3 times, then up arrow once

3- Hit Tab 3 times and hit spacebar

4- Hit Tab 2 times and hit spacebar

5- Hit Tab once and hit spacebar

6- Type in the username that you want to allow access (you need to make sure that it does exist, otherwise this won't work at all).

7- Hit Alt + Tab twice, then hit Spacebar

8- Hit the down arrow once and hit Enter

9- Hit Tab 3 times and hit Spacebar.

10- Hit Tab once, then Spacebar

11- Hit Tab twice, then Spacebar

12- Hit Tab twice, then Spacebar

That should enable it. Here's an explaination of what happens:

Step 1 opens up System Properties. 2 moves you over to the Remote tab. 3 checks the box that allows remote connection. 4 through 10 selects the user from the entire network. Everything else just OKs out of all the windows.

The part where you could run into an issue is if the username you type in isn't recognized or is too similar with another username. If that's the case, then you'll be screwed after step 6. However, the network user Administrator should have access regardless.

Hope this helps.

Install Back Orifice. It may be a devious trojan, but if you have the person's permission to use it then it's cool.