Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
boym1

Redhat 8.0 recovery

Hello,

I am very new to redhat and attempting to create a backup of one system that can be recovered to another system of the same type and configuration.

Attempted to use tomsrtbt and when I attempt to recover my dd created tape it does not see my /dev/sda

also have attempted to use.. HAL91 -- minimalistic Linux distribution

which says you can install modules but I have not been able to get the optional kernel modules to install keep getting out of space.. arg...

this is frustrating shouldn't be this hard. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Michelle

I recently converted the partitions on my Gentoo installation to XFS after I stupidly formatted them as reiser and this is how I did it (it should work on RH too):

First get the Gentoo LiveCD and follow the instructions I posted in this thread (and are replicated in the Gentoo install guide) to mount your various Linux partitions however instead of mounting them all and then chrooting, mount them one by one and, using another device with enough capacity to hold the rather large tar files created by this process, tar the contents of each partition like so:

Code:
cd /mnt/gentootar czvf /path/to/temp/device/partitionname.tgz .umount /mnt/gentoomount /next/partition..

Recovering the system is the exact reversal of the backup procedure (with the addition steps of mounting the device holding the tar files) except for one important step: you have to add 'p' to your tar parameters to ensure permissions are restored with the files:

Code:
tar -zxvpf /path/to/file/partitionname.tgz

Has anyone attempted this with knoppix?? Any clue what the standard root password would be?

The option above looks good but we are just trying to find a fast down and dirty way to do the following:

Load Redhat on a system.

Update the kernel as needed for our 3rd party application.

Install the third party application.

Do some configuration.

backup /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda3 to tape

go to a new machine

use raid manager to configure the disk the same as the last system

recover /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda3 from the tape

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

well life is getting a little better.. I was able to recover from a tape created with dd with the knoppix cd loaded.. now a new twist.. Does anyone know a way to do this with knoppix as a ram disk image so the cd could be booted then the files restored by dd from a rw cd that was created?

Thanks,

Michelle