Compatible Support Forums
tiffanyc333

USB Not Recognized, after using wireless net card

I got a wireless internet card from us cellular and used it our lapout. we have 3 usb ports and throughout a month its went through each one by one, eventually no longer working at all. other things would work in them such as my phone and an ipod nano until the net card quit working in the last one. now nothing will work in them but my phone will charge. Now whenever i plug anything into any of the usb ports it says usb not recognized. device malfunctioned, etc. i have tried the whole shutting down the computer, power, and deleting devices, etc. didnt work. please someone let me know what is wrong and how to fix it soon!

Try this out:

Plug in the wireless card into any of the USB ports. Once plugged in, open up the device manager (hold down the Windows key and hit Pause|Break; click the Hardware tab, then click Device Manager).

At the bottom of the list, you'll see "Universal Serial Bus controllers." Find your device listed there (or any that have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it), right-click it, and click Uninstall.

Once it's uninstalled, close all windows and shut down your computer (don't reboot). Once it's shut down, unplug the USB device and start your machine up. Once logged into Windows, plug your USB device in and it should try to install the device.

----------------------

As a rule of thumb, you should try to safely remove any USB device if your computer is turned on, instead of simply just pulling it out of the USB port. Doing otherwise runs the risk of frying your USB ports, which is never fun and usually requires replacing the entire motherboard. To safely remove a USB device, click the arrow next to the clock on the task bar to extend the bar, left-click the green arrow that is over a grey bar, and select the device to stop. It will give you a message that says you may safely remove the device. This shuts down any connection to that USB port until a new device is plugged in, and prevents that USB port from shorting out.

ive already tried that. none of them had the yellow sign though. there are 2 that i didnt know what they were so i didnt want to unistall them until i find out what theyre for or if ill be able to get them back. one says standard enhanced pci to usb host controller and the other is standard openhcd usb host controller if u know what either mean. any other ideas? thanks

Enhanced USB really just means USB 2.0. When this appears even only once, it usually means that all of your USB ports are 2.0.

The Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller is what provides support for USB devices.

My guess is that a driver somehow got corrupt. Try downloading the latest drivers for both of those and up[censored] them. This might help with your problem.

If they fix it, let us know what the problem was and the solution. I'm curious to know and I'm sure someone will need a solution in the future.

Sorry to not be of too much help.

Hi. I might be able to help.

My USB ports stopped working after I installed a bunch of WinXP Security Updates which changed things around in my system. This is probably the root cause of hundreds of people's systems running into USB port problems [censored] back to as early as 2006. The following thread was started in an effort to deal with this issue. . .

http://www.compatdb.org/support/topics/176233_usb_device_not_recognized_malfunction.html

That thread has a number of semi-useful solutions which work for some people some of the time; maybe they will help you.

However, it sounds more possible to me that your hardware is experiencing a conflict between your USB system and your new networking card -which might have installed an offending bit of code similar to the problematic MS Security Updates.

So. . , open up your Networking Connections folder and look for one or both of the following connections. . .

(Firewire) 1384

or

(Device name) 1394

The names may change, but the numbers will not. (You can also look for these in the Hardware Device Manager). Disable them, reboot, and see if that doesn't resolve the conflict. It did the trick for my system. The only trouble is that it might also prevent you using your new cell phone device.

There is some discussion of the 1384/1394 device solution here. . .

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-21877-windows-xp-won-t-recognize-wd-ext-hard-drive#p75275

Cheers and good luck!