Compatible Support Forums
shumailh

USB Devices Not Recognized!

Hi,

I couldn't connect my 500 GB USB. I mostly save my data from home and on last Monday I just accidently deleted some hidden file from my USB i.e. “Recycle Bin Folder”. After that whenever I plug in my USB it shows a balloon on task bar panel as below:

“One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it”

I have try to work through different forums (links are attached) but they didn’t work. I don’t know may be some registry file or software has been removed from my USB after which this can’t be recognized.. L. I would really appreciate your quick response and support in this regard.

Details of my USB are:

· Seagate:

· 500 GB FreeAgent|Go USB 2.0

· Portable Drive

· ST905003FAD2E1-RK

Already tried below references, but doesn't work at all

http://www.ntcompatible.com/...

http://www.google.ae/...

is there any way to restore the files to my usb? i went to some computer engineer they told me that they need to open the USB to recover the data, it cant be connected through usb port.

Configuration: Windows XP

Originally Posted By: shumailh
Hi,

I couldn't connect my 500 GB USB. I mostly save my data from home and on last Monday I just accidently deleted some hidden file from my USB i.e. “Recycle Bin Folder”. After that whenever I plug in my USB it shows a balloon on task bar panel as below:

“One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it”

I have try to work through different forums but they didn’t work. I don’t know may be some registry file or software has been removed from my USB after which this can’t be recognized..
Details of my USB are:

· Seagate:
· 500 GB FreeAgent|Go USB 2.0
· Portable Drive
· ST905003FAD2E1-RK

is there any way to restore the files to my usb? i went to some computer engineer they told me that they need to open the USB to recover the data, it cant be connected through usb port.

Configuration: Windows XP

Your problem is that missing file. You will need to find a way to repair that problem before your drive will work on usb. I made the same mistake a couple of years ago. I finally opened the USB case, removed the drive, and plugged it into my computer. I was then able to repair the problem, though I regret I don't remember what software I used to do so, other than it was free software I downloaded from the internet.

Try using google to search for help on the internet. In fact, Seagate used to furnish software to check and repair some hard drive problems, but of course, you will have to be able to use the drive itself before you can try anything. Windows has to be able to recognize the drive before you can do anything with it, which is why you are having problems. Windows reads the drive information and, not finding what it is expecting, it concludes that the USB is not working, as it does not contain enough "intelligence" to decide whether it is the USB circuits or the device plugged into the USB, etc. Even though you are getting an error message indicating the USB is failing, it is actually your drive not being set up correctly due to that missing file.

I would try downloading one of the free or free trial software packages for system repair and measurement to see if it will allow you to access the drive somehow. One that comes to mind is "Sandra"; I don't recall just where it is, though. You will have to google for that also. There are other programs which may be able to test the USB, find it isn't working for that drive, and yet, still try to use the port, etc. That is the best I can think of right now....

Of course, you should plug something else into that USB port to make sure it is working and is not the problem. If it fails with another known good device plugged into it, then your drive is not the total problem; you will have to get the USB port fixed.

The "computer engineer" was correct in saying they would need to open the case, though, unless you happen to find some software that is "smart" enough to use the USB port in a detailed manner to troubleshoot the drive.

Good luck.