Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
J6

TRIMING DOWN INSTALL FROM 750MEG

IN WIN 2000 PRO HOW DO YOU REMOVE ALL THE STUFF YOU DONT WANT SO YOU HAVE A BASIC OPPERATING SYSTEM? OR IS THAT WHAT IVE ALREADY GOT AT 750MEG BECAUSE THATS A BIT BLOODY BIG! ALL I NEED IS THE BARE ESSENTIALS TO RUN ONE APPLICATION.NO NETWORKING OR ANY OTHER BELLS AND WHISTLES.

MANY THANKS.

[This message has been edited by J6 (edited 19 March 2000).]

but that only gets rid of 50MB .. where are the drivers in %systemroot%\winnt? surely you don't need every single driver for every stinkin' piece of hardware on the compat list sitting on your hdd

------------------

Who's got the herb?

Well you could always del "winnt\driver cache" & "winnt\system32\dllcache" folder,

I'am sure about dllcache folder thougth

1. Get a bigger HD.

2. Use NTFS.

3. Delete all HELP files.

4. Delete all *.gid files.

5. Delete all *.bak files. (Be careful!)

6. Delete all *.cnt files.

7. Delete all *.old files. (Be careful!)

8. Get a bigger HD.

9. Use Compression.

10. Fdisk and then formar C:, Install DOS.

11. Get a bigger HD.

Is it really safe to delete the "dllcache" directory under winnt\system32\? It's a huge directory with over 200mbs on my hd. What is it there for, if I can safely delete it?

Andy

I haven't really looked at this for very long but it looks like the dllcache folder is compressed and that there are some files in this folder that are not in any other directory on the HD. What I am thinking this directory is for is for that System File Protection stuff. (Where if you overwrite a windows file, then windows will take the file out of dllcache and replace it.)