Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marktait

Help with AMDK6

I have an AMDK6-2 500Mhz but win2000 seems to only run it at 250Mhz and even in sisoft sandra it is at 250Mhz but i am running WinME also and sisoft sandra on WinME says that it is at 501Mhz.Is this just win2k reporting wrong or is it only using the CPU at this speed?

Thanx for any HELP!!!

I have Win2000 Professional....

are you taking the processor out of the 2k machine then putting into the ME box and thats when you see the difference? IF the answer to this question is yes the 2k box's clock speed need to be set right.

I use the same machine with dual boot and i have tried my ancient cyrix in the PC and win2k pro says that it is only a 150Mhz and winme reports it as a 366Mhz.I am puzzled by this.

First of all, they Cyrix chips dont run at their spec'd speed in the first place.

Second, what motherboard are you using. Find that out, as you may be able to flash the bios.

I am using a jetway 546b mobo and i know about the cyrix buit it is still being used slower than in winme.

1. Install latest mobo bios.

2. If that doesn't work then reinstall 2000 as Standard PC.

I have flashed the bios already with the latest updates and installed 2k again but this problem is still there

nothing to worry about, just a bug that happens with older amd chips where it will report 1/2 the actual speed. there was a post in here somewhere about it.

As long as youve got at least 128MB ram, and a decently fast cpu, at least 350 MHz, you should be alright.

64MB of ram under Win2k is not a pretty sight, since its beating you hard drive to death with the use of Virtual memory.