Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Global Win FOP38...

Okay, help me out here. I got the FOP 38 today, and though it would lower my cpu temp, well it didnt. I put thermal paste on it--stuff from Radio Shack. Its the same temp as with the generic orb cooler.

2.) The fan is listed as a 6800rpm fan, but its not doing nearly in the +/-10% it claims, 4500rpm is NOT in the 10% range!

WTF?! Also inside the box it says to hook it up to the power supply, and says something about the current being a problem.

But so far the only problem Im having is the fact that it wont do nearly the speed it claims. Is this because Ive got it hooked up to the mobo or what?

BTW...the FOP38 says it will run better off the PSU and I feel inside the case since Ive rigged it up with an insane amount of fans, but I still think that the way people rave about the Global Win HSFs, this should be performing MUCH better that it is. I dont expect a fan to necessarily be on the dot with the rpm but I do expect it to be close.

Im betting that the problem is being hooked up to the mobo instead of the PSU.

BTW, will I be able to boot up with the HSF NOT plugged into the CPU fan header or will I have to fake it out. I have the Asus A7V, bios revision 1007 final.

You're going to need to plug it into the PSU to get the speed you want, the mobo doesn't offer enough power out of the fan header. Just hook one of your case fans into the CPU fan header.

I believe there is also something that would help you over at www.nerdsbyte.com - a switch that plugs into both.

-bZj

I just today took delivery of the FOP38.

Dropped my temperature quite a bit, although the noise is going to take some getting used to.

I was really interested about where to plug the power in for this unit after reading the initial post.

I decided to use the pass-through cable and attach it direct to power supply.

Out of total interest I then decided to give it a go from the CPU FAN header on my motherboard (CUSL2 Black Pearl), wanted to see what the RPM was reported as.

6810rpm.

Powered down, back up, exactly the same speed from the CPU FAN header.

Motherboard issue?

Some boards can cope, otehrs can't?

I got that connector to the PSU, but it still doesnt do any damn good! WTF?! I have a sh!tload of fans--with the airflow going from front to back. Could the monitor be screwed up now? Cuz it is a cool system with all the fans I got in there. This is driving me nuts.

I thought I wasnt putting enough thermal compound on, nothing. I dont know if the fan is screwy or what, but whatever it is this is insane.

BTW, Ive also powered it down and taken off the Global Win and felt the core, but it didnt seem warm. Im really perplexed at this cooling reading and beginning to think that the fan reading is screwed up.

Your 6800 RPM fan is only doing 4500?? Hmmm... You dont have an FOP38. You have an FOP32, my man! Either you got sold a mislabeled part, or your fan is bad. If it aint loud enough to irritate you, then you aint got a Delta38 on that.

Yeah, Ive been thinkin it mightve been mislabled, as all the pics of the 38 have a fan grill an mine doesnt.

My problem was that I had sorry thermal paste. I got some AMD approved stuff and that works marvelously.

Someone screwed up, and it wasnt me.

Shame we don't live in the same country, I'd happily swap my FOP38 for your FOP32 - da delta is beyond belief and it's gonna have to go I'm afraid.

Does the writing on the fan state something like YS-Tech? Then you have an FOP32. It is not a bad HSF combo. Once you hear the annoying (and I mean VERY ANNOYING!!!) delta38 fan of the FOP38, you wont mind giving up about 3C' for some peace and quiet. BTW, there is no grill on the FOP32.

Im also assuming the 32 costs less. I bought it locally for $21. I guess Global Win screwed up with the markings, because it just looks like they use one box and mark it appropriately.

I guess its better to have the fan hooked up to the PSU anyway. ;(

Oh well, even with the warmer weather upon us, its now only getting to hit 50 C.

Of course it was the hsf compound all along, go figure. ;(

Ive already got a ton of fans in my case anyway, so that Delta fan probably wouldnt be as noticable as it would be on my P3 system.

Thanx, Tim Bazzinett.

Yeah, if we lived in the UK or the US, Id go for the 38, but the shipping charges for overseas just wouldnt make it worth it for either of us, BladeRunner. But thanx for the offer. smile

I know someone running the FOP 38 (and a few other case fans), and to get everything running as it should, they had to cut a hole in the back of the case, shove in a second PSU, and run a few of the fans of that (although it does beg the question "Why not just get a bigger PSU")

Ive thought about that, but this 300W PSU thats in right now runs fine. I dont see the need for another PSU or a bigger one at that. I have a ton of fans, Im overclocking and have a dvd, cd rom and a hard drive in my full tower. I do have a cdrw, but its just usb and has its own power supply.

Im definitely thinking its a FOP 32 since I havent heard a difference from my Orb fan, so Im guessing the sucker was just mislabled.

I have 7 different fan arrays, some alone some together, but I have a lot of fans in this full tower and I have yet to crash it because of too little power. Crashing has only happened because of a bad driver once, and the other times have been from too aggressively overclocking the system.

I dont care what Ive got so long as I can overclock 200MHz over and still not go over 50C on a full load, even with the warmer weather.

I dont think the place I bought it from knew about that, so Im definitely thinking the box was mislabled, cuz all theres was like mine.

I did notice a rise in temp when I went to my full tower, and Ive got the flow of air from front to back. It will peak at 50C, but only for a few seconds. Also, my overclock is using a 1.75 vcore on a Duron 1016MHz (9.5x107), I guess this is a reasonable trade off for the power.