Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silent-IQ

Whats yours expirience with IBM hard drives?

I bought a 46Gb IBM disk 4 months ago and yesterday it crashed, first i got 40kb bad clusters and like 4 hours later it went off line. I was not suprised that much coz i noticed that 3 of my friends had the same problem with theirs 30Gb, 46Gb like mine and 75Gb drives. Then i know i friend that works in a computer store and he says that a lot of IBM drives are coming back broken. So, did anyone of you ever get or heard of crashed IBM drives?

and why isnt IBM doing nothing to prevent this stuff.

//Silent.

I have four IBM drives, all of which are running flawlessly and have been for months.

2x15g and 2x30g, both in Raid on a Fasttrak66 in two seperate machines.

Ed

I have a 20GB and 25GB at home, and a few old SCSI units at work. They have been running fine (ranging from 1 to 5 years old).

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I have a 30 gig IBM drive and it crashed. It's still usuable, but I wouldn't trust it.

[This message has been edited by PsychoSword (edited 25 March 2001).]

I have an IBM 11 gig, it crashed after about two years and its now being sent back.

I have an IBM 45 gig and a 30gig that have both been running fine. Recently I bought a 30gig Western Digital and it crashed after 2 (two) days - I'll never touch a non IBM again.

well. i think that ibm drives are the best out there both in performance and quality but i cant understand the thing with all this crashes latley, i live here in sweden and like 6 out 10 of my friends ibm drives crashed, the thing is that it happens only with the new drives those who use the glass disk. the only thing i can think of is that they are very sensitive to moving around the computer coz here we do have alot of LAN parties.

well well my 46gb 4 months old disk is going back tomorow! smile

//Silent.

I think the problems with IBM disks are probably in proportion with other manufacturers, but because they are so popular at the moment, more people are likely to complain about them.

Personally I have 2 Maxtor disks which run flawlessly. If they were as popular as the IBM disks, then the boards would be filled with complaints when they failed.

Well 2 friends of mine have had 2 46 Gig IBM drives fail on them each. 4 drive failures in such a short space of time cannot be normal. Haven't had any problems with my 30Gig IBM yet fortunately

I had 2 segate HDs one from a local supplier, and another in a PC from DELL both fail within a week. Both of which were almost the same age.

Well, the GXP series drives are supposedly having reliability problems and I would have to agree since I've been having problems with my GXP 30 gig drive. It makes all kinds of strange noises and every once in awhile tries to shut off while in the middle of doing something. I'm just glad it's no longer my boot drive. I've also been having some problems with corrupted files such as MP3's that now have pops in them since being transfered over to the drive and setup programs that give CRC errors. The file problems anyways could be due to a bad IDE cable and I'm currently looking into that option. It's one thing to make a fast hard drive, but it's entirely another to make a reliable line of hard drives.

Just to let you guys know, Western Digital uses the SAME EXACT hardware as ibm to make their drives. There is absolutely no difference but the name.

On that note, i bought a 20 gig IBM deskstar in December of 1999. I used it until about November of 2000, then it crapped out. The disk tries to spin up, but it just clicks for about 20 secs and it won't work. The only way i was able to get a bios to detect it one last time to retrieve my data was to set it upside down. I now own a 40 gig ATA-100 Western Digital, and ive had it since November. It has been running perfectly fine, but, who knows, it could crap out in a year also. I think the durability of a hard drive relies on how the user treats it. This kind of goes for most hardware. I LAN A LOT, and my case has been banged around a lot. This could be very good reasoning for hardware failure, but thats just my opinion. I think IBM makes good drives, but so do many other manufacturers. I was kind of disappointed when it crapped on me in under a year's time though. But, i still trust em.

I have never liked Western Digital drives ever since I worked for Gateway several years ago. My brand of choice for the longest time now has been Maxtor. I even had a 129 meg Maxtor model from an IBM 486 that still worked until I finally threw it away less than a year ago. Currently I have a Maxtor 60 gig 7,200rpm model as my main weapon of choice and it is serving me well. And I believe you about IBM and WD being made from the same stuff because they both have that annoying rattling sound when they access. I've long suspected that was true.

Only had 1 bad IBM drive out of like 5. 1:5 ratio is not good or bad I guess. Oh well, had a major electrical issue. Freaking thing would fry whatever mobo I hooked it up to. Weird, huh? Took me 3 mobos to figure that out. IBM took good care of me and sent me out a way better model and alot bigger one too! Good luck! Maxtor drives sucks...but REAL BAD from my experiences on performance and reliability...but that's my humble experience and GOD knows it is alot!

IBM make about 90% of Western Digital's hard drives for them.

I don't mean 90% of the WD drives were made by IBM, I mean 90% of a WD drive is manufactured at IBM smile

Somebody above posted 1 in 5 IBM drives faulty.

Here at work all of our new PC's arrive with IBM disks - I'm yet to have one fail.

Add that to the two I've got at home.

I would say, over the past 6 months that is 0 in 25-30 failed.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JJ32:
Only had 1 bad IBM drive out of like 5. 1:5 ratio is not good or bad I guess. Oh well, had a major electrical issue. Freaking thing would fry whatever mobo I hooked it up to. Weird, huh? Took me 3 mobos to figure that out. IBM took good care of me and sent me out a way better model and alot bigger one too! Good luck! Maxtor drives sucks...but REAL BAD from my experiences on performance and reliability...but that's my humble experience and GOD knows it is alot!

</font>

When my Segate died, it destroyed everthing in the PC except for an LS120, and the RAM. frown

------------------
System Spec:
Athlon 800
Gigabyte GA-7IXE F4
128Mb SSi PC100
Radeon 64Mb DDR (oem and proud of it)
Hauppauge Wintv Model 406
Realtek 8029 LAN (cnx to ISDN server)
Creative ES1371 PCI64v smile
Creative SBlive Value frown
Creative 48mx CDROM
Memorex TriMaxx200(DVD/CDR/CDRW/CD, 4,6,4,24)
Segate SS330630A 30Gb 7200 ATA4
LS120

Ive bought WD and maxtor drives, and I had a problem with a 8 gig maxtor crash on me i sent it back to maxtor and received a 10 GIG drive in return from them not more than 2 days after I called them for the RMA # and that drive has been running fine for 2 1/2 years now. I have never had a problem with my WD drives at all from my original 514mb to my 10 gig now. So i would recommend Maxtor or WD for drives.

I have to agree with Silent-IQ... here in Sweden you read about alot of peple having problems with their IBM's, including me, after about one month i got about 90k in bad clusters, i fixed the problem with chkdsk and it's been running flawlessly ever since... But I have to say that IBM makes really nice disks.

Fujitsu makes good disks too, I have and a MPD3173AT 17,3 Gb DMA66 drive from mid 1999 and it's been working flawlessly since the day I put in my computer...

I have an ibm drive going on 3 years in just a month or two. Its worked flawlessly all this time, doing video editing, large 4-5gb avi files, erased, written over on a daily basis of 12-15hour times. Been best drive I ever owned.

The thing to remember though is that NO harddrive is safe. It can work now and you reboot and it quits. Just remember to keep anything you can't afford to lose always backed up.

I have built a bunch of pcs with IBM drives in them no problems yet! keeping my fingers crossed. Also i have recomended the deskstar drives to alot of people that went out and got em. I really hope they will hold up ok. But so for all is well.

The only manufacturer that ive seen have a bad drive is Quantum. The first drive I had was by them. Fortuanatly, when it died it wasnt in MY computer. Fujitsu's and Western Digitals are good too. I like my Maxtor, real quiet, and no problems yet. No problems if it dies either--Ive got a CD-RW drive, that all I really do is use it to back up.

BTW, if you havent heard, Maxtor is buying out Quantum.

I havent gotten an IBM drive just because they're expensive and Ive had no problems with WD's, Maxtors, and Fujitsu's drives.

IBM HDs are the fastest IDE hard drives all around right?

but do you notice the speed difference from let say a maxtor or western digital you buy? and by how much do you notice the speed difference if any?

like lets say a 30 gig IBM 75 gxp 7200 rpm ATA 100 2MB buffer, maxtor 30 gig 7200 rpm ATA 100 2MB buffer , Western Digital 30 gig 7200 rpm ATA 100 2MB buffer what would be the fastest , one in the middle and the slowest also which one would get more hotter and make more noise , etc

P.S. i know i can get OEM ibm 30 gig 75 gxp as cheap as a maxtor or WD hard drive and it comes with 3 year warranty i think but i sorta want to buy a ibm 30 75gxp HD off of www.ibm.com the retail one to make sure i get my 3 year warranty and everything but not sure what to do yet)

please reply

thanks