Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ODiN

Maxtor 60GB shows up as 30 in Win2k

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if it's the jumper configuration that I have for this new 60GB drive (only came with one), but I can't seem to get Win2k to recognize the HD as a 60GB. After screwing around with the MaxBlast software and BIOS, I was able to get BIOS to recognize the drive as a 60GB, but still no go with the OS. Any have any tips for me as to how to configure this drive? Thanks in advance.

Get some more jumpers from Radio Shack.

Also, make sure the BIOS settings for the drive are set to LBA.

I got an extra jumper now, but I still can't get Win2k to see the full capacity. I can get the EZ-BIOS software (from MaxBlast) to see the drive as a 60GB going into Win2k, but still nothing in the actual OS. I've tried setting it to both slave and master, and still no go either...

I know on some drives that there is a jumper setting for 32 gb clip to ensure compatibility with older systems. Make sure it is not set that way.

I thought I tried both Master and Slave jumper configurations with and without the jumper for capacity limitation that you're talking about, but you're saying it should NOT be used? BTW, I'm using an ABIT VP6 motherboard.

Well I guess that did it.... must have forgotten to try one of the jumper combinations. I don't know why though, but Win2k is still only seeing the drive as a 55.9GB drive rather than 57.1GB (it's a 61.4GB drive defined by Maxtor). Thanks for the help guys.... if anyone knows if I'm actually getting ripped off on that GB difference, let me know if there's a workaround...