Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
three

VIA 4.29 drivers makes my IDE drives as SCSI??

Just curious here, the 4in1 4.29 drivers I installed made my Maxtor 15GB Ultra ATA100 Drive state as a "Maxtor 5 1536H2 SCSI Disk Device". Anybody know the deal or if this could be a problem? Also just noticed that the DVD rom was also indicated as a SCSI CdRom Device (on seperate IDE channel)

Would also like to know how to check if the HD is being used as ATA100? Where to check?

Benchmark for the drive:

Read Max 17655 kB/sec

Read Average 16030 kB/sec

Read Min 13438 kB/sec

Write Max 36571 kB/sec

Write Average 32120 kB/sec

Write Min 28444 kB/sec

CPU usage 6 percent

Hmm...If its just hooked up to an extra pair of IDE controllers, Windows will think its a SCSI drive even if its IDE. I would worry about it unless your having problems.

Well, it's an onboard UDMA100 controller (AOpen AK73 Pro Mobo) I was just wondering and wanted to make sure that the drive was being used as UDMA 100.

Yep it is, windows 2000 (if that is what you are uising), doesn't sipport udma 100, so the manufacturers get around it by tricking it into thinking its a scsi device therefore windows uses it as the maximum the drive can deliver.

Tom

ahh...that makes sense.

kinda puzzled me there since my DVD drive on a seperate channel was being reported as that too. It was more confusing since I DO have a SCSI card for my Yamaha burner heh.

no no no. i had that trouble and i posted on a forum and people were like its ok cause win2k doesn't know how to handle udma100 dirves. when i first put the via drivers on it thought my drives were scsi as well. if you check you error log you will see that it tries to load some drivers (i suspect scsi stuff eh?) and it may even have trouble writing to a couple sectors.

after about 10 boots i got an unrecoverable error. i thought it was the drive. so i went out and bought another. i reset everything up again. then win2k thought that it was a scsi drive after i installed the via drivers. and after a couple days i got another fatal error.

i would suggest that you don't leave your drives as scsi! try to upgrade them back to the win2k default ide drivers. you can still install the via agp and other stuff. just not the drivers pertaining to your HD if you are having this trouble...

now i've been running for 3 months my original drive with the win2k ide driver w/ no trouble... no errors.

if you want your ata100 just get the microsoft hotfix

i hope that helps.

hmm...that sounds scary...

When I had my old IBM ata33 drive and installed udma support it was being read as SCSI drive as well, and I know I rebooted over 10 times without any problems.. Well, I searched all over the ever so complicated ms knowledge base and didn't find the hotfix but i did send AOpen an email about the problem, hope they get back to me soon.

as for error log, there was only one error i saw and it was refering this:

viadsk

The device, \Device\Scsi\viadsk2, did not respond within the timeout period.

that's it, only appeared once so i know it's not a boot up issue.

you are refering to the 'Event Viewer\System Log' when you say Error Log right?

[This message has been edited by three (edited 27 March 2001).]